• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster spawned by a typo

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This typo in a recent thread got me thinking...

Hussar said:
...the equivalent of a lynch mop murdering someone.

Lynch Mop - the evil in the closet, next to the Flying Broom.

LYNCH MOP
Evil Construct
HD 3
AC 18 (or 2 in AD&D), natural, dexterity 17
Attacks: 1
Morale: perfect, always fights until destroyed
Intelligence: marginal, enough only to detect its creator and other Lynch Mops (neither of which will it ever attack) and other creatures (which it will always attack)
Move: 40' (18")
Damage: d6 bludgeoning
Special attacks:
~ ~ ~ pack tactics - a Lynch Mop gains 1 HD, +1 to hit, and 5 h.p. for every other functional Lynch Mop within 50'
~ ~ ~ two or more Lynch Mops attacking the same opponent always give each other flanking
~ ~ ~ water spray - a Lynch Mop near an available source of at least one gallon of water can soak up and spray that water in a 180-degree arc, all within 10' must save or be blinded for 1 round; this is a full-round action
Special defenses:
~ ~ ~ immune to poison, cold, sleep, gas, paralysis, stunning, blinding, deafness, and all mental effects.
~ ~ ~ cannot be restrained, grappled, or held except by its creator.
~ ~ ~ vulnerable to fire unless wet.
~ ~ ~ 5 point bonus to AC vs. all missile attacks
Special abilities:
~ ~ ~ does not need air, water or sustenance in order to survive

Originally constructed as an accidental effect by a rather unstable wizard named Kalliandre Kimenestra, the original creator of the Lynch Mop realized she had made a significant discovery...once she recovered from the beating administered by said Lynch Mop...and set about trying to replicate what she had done, only in a manner less dangerous to herself. She succeeded, and went on to become very wealthy through selling her design to other wizards; some of whom went on to refine her design and add the pack tactics. Construction of a Lynch Mop requires a mop, on which are cast in sequence Enchant An Item, Golem, and Animate Dead over a 24-hour period. Not less than 3000 g.p. of fine gold dust must be included in the casting of Golem; this dust is sprinkled over the mop and - if the spell is successful - absorbed by it.

A Lynch Mop can be given no orders or instructions whatsoever. On completion of the spell sequence it animates and then acts as noted above. Note that construction of a Lynch Mop is generally considered a non-Good act.

Lan-"have fun, everyone; and thanks [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] !"-efan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The terrifying offspring of Jay Z (a.k.a. “Mr. Beyoncé”):

And a gazebo:

310px-Victorian_Gazebo.jpg

I’m thinking it should present adventurers with 99 problems.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I'm sure we once had someone talk about a Drowager (which could be a time-based monster whose favourite prey is drow)

My mother language is also very creative with "Lich"es and one of my players is constantly making Lich puns. We even got a city nearby called Lich and a beer called Licher.

I

Immortal Sun

Considering where the term "lynch mob" comes from, literally people getting together to hang someone, I feel like the mop needs some kind of "strangle" ability.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Ohhh, I thought we were taking Monster Manual entries and turning them into typos. Like, the Link Dog, the Animated Word, the Ore Mage, the Juan-ti, the Ettercrap, the Gibbering Mother, the Invisible Talker, and of course, the Assimar.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ohhh, I thought we were taking Monster Manual entries and turning them into typos. Like, the Link Dog, the Animated Word, the Ore Mage, the Juan-ti, the Ettercrap, the Gibbering Mother, the Invisible Talker, and of course, the Assimar.

You mean, the Assismore.
kim-kardashian-2.jpg
giphy.gif

Remove ads