• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster vault: I has it

Fiery_Dragon

First Post
Are there any Soldiers?

How do the eHobgoblins compare to the cHobgoblins?

Soldiers as in "Human, Soldier?" No.

Soldier as in "Monster Role?" Yes, about 68 of them.

5 kinds of hobgoblins:

Hobgoblin Beast Master (lvl 3 controller (leader) - moves enemies and allies around with his whip

Hobgoblin Battle Guard (lvl 3 solderi) Flail, phalanx movement, share shield

Hobgoblin Spear Solderi (lvl 3 skirmisher) Reach 2, longspear & javelin, phalanx movement, tactical withdrawl

Hobgoblin Warmonger (lvl 4 Artillery (leader) - mace, longbow, battlecry that gets allies attacking, phalanx movement

Hobgoblin Commander (lvl 5 soldier (leader) - grants attack bonuses to his allies when he hits you, spear, tactical deployment (shifts allies within 5), hobgoblin resilience (can make a save against a condition)

They look fun.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Just curious, does the Monster Vault offer enough to make it worth picking up if you already own the Monster Manuals? Is it more of the same, or is there new content?

And did I hear correct that there's an adventure?

Thanks in advance.

Fiery_Dragon

First Post
Just curious, does the Monster Vault offer enough to make it worth picking up if you already own the Monster Manuals? Is it more of the same, or is there new content?

And did I hear correct that there's an adventure?

Thanks in advance.

There is a 4th-level adventure. If you don't care about the tokens, the book itself is sort of the highlights of MM1 but using the latest monster building ideas. If MM1 is already working well for you, you could skip this. It seems more necessary than the DM's kit, which was just reprints of stuff from the other books. This, at least, has the same old monsters but created with more experience under their belts and designed in the MM3 style.

Remove ads