• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Vault impressions

Cyronax

Explorer
Agree with pretty much all of Unknown at This Time's review.

I also particularily enjoyed the new mechanics for solos -- the Instinctive XXXX powers of dragons. Basically they get an automatic extra partial turn at Initiative check 10+X.

In the case of a solo dragon, it could be a free flyby attack, etc.

I really liked the flavor text for the Minotaur entry. I don't think I'd seen minotaurs described like that before in 4e (or earlier?). Maybe it is how the minotaurs lived on Krynn?

I dug the Death Knights for flavor and mechanics.

Good buy for the price.

C.I.D.

I really liked the flavor text for the Minotaur entry. I don't think I'd seen minotaurs described like that before in 4e (or earlier?). Maybe it is how the minotaurs lived on Krynn?

Not sure about the Ansalonian background, but the minotaurs on Taladas (the other big continent on Krynn that was released as a campaign setting in 2e) were very much Imperial Rome in flavor from what I remember.

IMO the "Minds Like Mazes" entry builds nicely upon the information provided in Dragon #369, Playing Minotaurs (which is more detailed than the PH3 entry). I also like the flavor text. :)

Remove ads