D&D 5E Monsters charming PCs during combat

If I use charm abilities, I aim at whoever seems like the easiest target. So either the weakest link in the party, or an npc. But usually they make their saves, which is kind of disappointing.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
So basically what I'm hearing about calm emotions is "Don't worry about it"?

I'm just afraid that when my players finally confront Strahd, he's going to go down in one round....

MarkB

Legend

I'm just afraid that when my players finally confront Strahd, he's going to go down in one round....
Strahd's smart. If he knows the party and their capabilities, just have him charm the one who can cast calm emotions first.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Don't forget Legendary Resistance, and I would give him advantage on saving throws against magical effects too. He's been around the block.

Also, (and I know this isn't super popular), make sure his initiative slot is very high - at least +10 to any initiative check (if you want to roll it). There's nothing worse than the final big-bad just sitting there and taking a beating (OK there are legendary actions, but still) waiting for its turn to come round. If the PCs gain the element of surprise then awesome, otherwise the big bad should be more than ready to take on these meddlesome PCs.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Don't forget Legendary Resistance, and I would give him advantage on saving throws against magical effects too. He's been around the block.

Also, (and I know this isn't super popular), make sure his initiative slot is very high - at least +10 to any initiative check (if you want to roll it). There's nothing worse than the final big-bad just sitting there and taking a beating (OK there are legendary actions, but still) waiting for its turn to come round. If the PCs gain the element of surprise then awesome, otherwise the big bad should be more than ready to take on these meddlesome PCs.
Also, being Strahd, he is probably aware that the PC will be there shortly, so have the swarms already present and maybe a few other underlings.

Edit: Oh, and he's a wizard. Give him Counterspell.

cmad1977

Hero

He can walk through walls, move out of turn, and has legendary saves. He’ll be fine. Strahds most powerful tool in his arsenal is his mobility.

MarkB

Legend
He can walk through walls, move out of turn, and has legendary saves. He’ll be fine. Strahds most powerful tool in his arsenal is his mobility.
He could get really nasty with that if he wants to - walk in behind the party, try to charm a PC, then walk back out again. If he succeeds, nobody knows in-character that anything's wrong. It could be a TPC before anyone fires a shot.

Remove ads