• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters dropped from SRD and how this will effect 3.5E

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Okay, I've been adamently OK with 3.5E for a while now... I was also not too offended by one of WotC's other controversial moves, removing certain staple monsters from Open Game Content.

Then I put two and two together.

One of the big reasons I was okay with 3.5E is the presence of the SRD: All of the changes to the core stuff would be readily available, and I could keep up-to-date without having to buy new books. Now, however, I wonder if that's the case: Will the 3E mind flayer translate directly? What about the beholder?

I'm not contesting WotC's legal right to do this, I just feel really screwed over by the whole affair -- and a little deceived.

Any thoughts on this? Do you anticipate that the removed creatures will be made available as part of the 3.5E update (perhaps as a web enhancement?), just not marked Open Game Content? Or is Wizards just yanking them from any sort of free use?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I think wizards are yanking them from the SRD all together. This doens't really bother me all that much, as everything they've pulled out are monsters I don't really like anyway :)

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
These creatures will definitely be in the 3.5E rulebooks.

As for the revised SRD - I don't know. Probably not.

However, WotC may well be nice to us (they have been before) and post the revised stats on their website. I think this extremely likely.

Cheers!

Ranger REG

Explorer
No big deal.

The SRD is meant to be a game designer's toolkit, not a complete downloadable rules for gamers.

They decided to leave some monsters off, then I will just buy the Revised Monster Manual if I need their stats.

As far as being decieved, it is their right to be generous, and they have been more generous than any other major RPG company who have yet to "Open" their ruleset. (Hint hint, Steve Jackson.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads