D&D 5E Monstrosity as Pet/Companion?

Azaar

Explorer
While looking through Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, I came across mention of the moon elf archdruid Wyllow, as well as her displacer beast animal companion. The displacer beast as an animal companion is what intrigued me, given that the last time I saw that capability was in 3rd edition (Eberron Campaign Setting, IIRC). It intrigued me, in part because I have a character concept that (while not druid or ranger) would be neat to have such a companion.

Of course, the fact that it's a monstrosity type makes that problematic. But I'm curious, given that 5e has now opened the door for NPCs to have such a companion: how would a PC obtain such a companion?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While looking through Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage, I came across mention of the moon elf archdruid Wyllow, as well as her displacer beast animal companion. The displacer beast as an animal companion is what intrigued me, given that the last time I saw that capability was in 3rd edition (Eberron Campaign Setting, IIRC). It intrigued me, in part because I have a character concept that (while not druid or ranger) would be neat to have such a companion.

Of course, the fact that it's a monstrosity type makes that problematic. But I'm curious, given that 5e has now opened the door for NPCs to have such a companion: how would a PC obtain such a companion?
Tbh I’d just allow it.

The CR restriction on BM rangers is wonky, and should have meant they’d make lower CR adolescent versions of some critters, IMO.

A custom version of a Beast of The Earth would work, give it grapple-on-hit and displacement.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
It's probably way overkill for your needs, but...

Maybe a Sidekick (from Tasha's)? Start with a displacer beast kitten (from Witchlight) and give it Warrior levels. It might take a little tweaking* to make it "grow" over time. Obviously, the big drawback is that it's effectively a whole character, not just a class feature.

* E.g., maybe instead of the ASIs at 4th and 8th level, increase its size and hit-die type by one step, to crank up hit points. And maybe start it with dealing 1d4 bludg + 1d4 pierce damage dice (instead of its default), then graduate those to 1d6 + 1d6 at the "dead" 5th level? By 8th level, i think, it'd be large size and have 10d10 HD like a "real" displacer beast; not as tough or strong, but more capable.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
A player in my group has a winter wolf pup companion that they found hidden under the body of a dead frost giant, I just allowed it, no feature necessary.

I'm thinking I might give it a level of the warrior sidekick class when the party next levels up, but otherwise I'm levelling it up over time until it grows up as a full winter wolf.

aco175

Legend
I see two points. Allow it and just know that they are a b it more powerful and magical than animals, but should not affect much in play. The other side of me says that this is a NPC thing and PCs cannot have it. NPCs do not fall into the same ruleset and can dragon followers or undead. Maybe a ooze lord with pudding pups trailing it- it is a NPC and can break the normal rules.

jgsugden

Legend
I would allow some monstrosities as an animal companion, but I might 'charge' the player an attunement slot to have it. That balanced the scales a bit ... I wouldn't charge that for an animal companion that lacked special abilities (example Owlbear, Hippogriff), but if they have special abilities on par with the abilities a magic attuned item might grant (Example: Displacer Beast, Carrion Crawler) I'd think that a fair balancing technique.

Remove ads