Monte Cook Games’ Next Kickstarter Is Ptolus (for 5E and Cypher)

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

The original was a nearly 700-page book which came out in 2006.

“The critically-acclaimed Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire is a 672-page hardcover with additional physical and digital content and premium production values. It details the fantasy city of Ptolus, an adventurer’s haven built atop vast underground dungeons and adjacent to a massive, mysterious spire. The book is lavishly illustrated and contains scores of detailed maps, along with uncountable NPCs, creatures, locations, and items. The original printing sold out upon release, and is one of the most highly sought-after RPG titles on the collector’s market. It has since been available as a print-on-demand title, but in a two-book format that lacks premium features.

The new Ptolus will release in two versions: one for 5e, and another for the Cypher System. The book will follow the format of the original as closely as possible, and retain all of its premium design features. The Ptolus Kickstarter campaign launches in February.”

C2F6E07C-6CD1-4820-A85E-A395717B3A29.jpeg

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I dunno, that video game is very niche and didn't get a whole lot of recognition. I would think most of the people who bought it were old Torment fans.

Not really - it's generally sold pretty well on the various digital platforms it's available on. It didn't get the same level of buzz as something like Disco Elysium, but it did alright.

R_J_K75

Legend
my DM brain I always think "I could use that awesome bigass book one day" Of course I don't though

That was always my intention with all the RPGs Ive ever owned. In the long run I ended up selling off probably 80% of my collection over the years at various times for various reasons. Some of it I regret but most of it I don't because it just sat on a shelf 100% of the time after browsing it once or twice. The older I get I've adopted the stance if I havent used something in 6 months or more I probably wont and get rid of it when I get in the mood to start cleaning my house. Why do I need 10 coffee cups, and 37 butter knives, but I cant find a spoon when I need it.

Nebulous

Legend
Not really - it's generally sold pretty well on the various digital platforms it's available on. It didn't get the same level of buzz as something like Disco Elysium, but it did alright.

Well good. I thought about picking it up myself but wasn't in the mood for something so text heavy.

Nebulous

Legend
That was always my intention with all the RPGs Ive ever owned. In the long run I ended up selling off probably 80% of my collection over the years at various times for various reasons. Some of it I regret but most of it I don't because it just sat on a shelf 100% of the time after browsing it once or twice. The older I get I've adopted the stance if I havent used something in 6 months or more I probably wont and get rid of it when I get in the mood to start cleaning my house. Why do I need 10 coffee cups, and 37 butter knives, but I cant find a spoon when I need it.

i offloaded a bunch of stuff too but there's still a dozen bins of books I just don't want to part with. Including my original Endless Quests from the 1980s.

R_J_K75

Legend
Return to Brookmere, man. To the 9 year old me, that IS the definition of D&D.

XQbSYdW.jpg

I had these too. I remember the one with the blue cover with a giant on it maybe? I probably read all the Choose Your Own Adventures around this time too. I just remember playing D&D with my friends at this point having little clue what we were doing and how ridiculous our PCs were.

Nebulous

Legend
I had these too. I remember the one with the blue cover with a giant on it maybe? I probably read all the Choose Your Own Adventures around this time too. I just remember playing D&D with my friends at this point having little clue what we were doing and how ridiculous our PCs were.

Yeah, I think that was a larry elmore cover if I'm remembering correctly

Remove ads

Remove ads