Monthly Games

Kuld

Explorer
Playing monthly games is really a pain in the butt. It takes four weeks just to find a weekend that everyone can play.

Well, we are all family men now, save one, and screaming kids running around tend to shorten our games a bit. Unfortunately, my son is probably the worst. He’ll be one this month and has found that the best way to get daddy’s attention is to scream like a banshee. Not good for an RPG. :\

I love to play but time is an issue. I also have reserve duties “once a month”, (actually a few once’s a month) or something always pops up that requires our immediate attention!

I was wondering how many of you share my problem. :heh:

Napftor

Explorer
Our group has the same schedule. While there's no children to consider (yet), out problem is that players are as far as an hour away from the gaming home. Differing schedules on everyone's part doesn't help either. It's a pain but 1/month is better than nothing.

IronWolf

blank
We're doing every other week right now on a week night. All it takes is one reschedule though and suddenly there are three weeks between sessions. It can be difficult, but it is still well worth having a pen and paper game versus a PBeM game which moves even slower!

I would suggest trying to keep communication up during off times with maybe a message board or mailing list. Might help give a little more continuity to it.

S'mon

Legend
Currently I'm aiming for twice a month, flexible whether that's 2 in a row or bi-weekly. I agree that 1/month is too long for a campaign, the momentum is lost.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
I run most of the games for my group and they run once a week on Sunday. All who can make it show up- those who can't don't! There are 9 players in my group - 3 are on hiatus indefinately, 1 makes it down every other week or so, the rest are there nearly every week (including one fellow who drives 2 hours both ways to be there - he has a place to stay in town however and is usually in town on Friday). I have run the game with as few as 3 players and we have a few games designed to only be played with the in town crowd (my 'core' of 4 players) . Children are currently banned from the gaming area since the person who brings them will end up spending most of their time tending to the kid and not playing so what's the point of coming out? We mostly play at our house and my wife and I have no children.

Kuld - You mentioned that one of your players hasn't got any children - any chance your spouse could watch junior while you play at his place? Or barring that at a local community center/library etc.? Back in my university days we would 'rent' an empty class room once a week (it was free so it was more a matter of reserving it - we just had to make sure it was cleaned up when we left). Maybe a local college would do something similar?

Kuld

Explorer
While there's no children to consider (yet), out problem is that players are as far as an hour away from the gaming home.

Yeah, I totally know how you feel. I live in San Diego and my players live in San Bernardino, about 120 miles away. And definitely 1/month is better that nothing. ;)

I would suggest trying to keep communication up during off times with maybe a message board or mailing list. Might help give a little more continuity to it.

It's funny that you mention that. I just made a website for that reason. :D
It has a news/schedule page.

Also, I enjoy constructive criticism so if you want to check it out it’s at
http://home.earthlink.net/~torque220/bata/

Mind you, I am not a computer type, so any advise would be much appreciated!

Kuld

Explorer
Kuld - You mentioned that one of your players hasn't got any children - any chance your spouse could watch junior while you play at his place? Or barring that at a local community center/library etc.? Back in my university days we would 'rent' an empty class room once a week (it was free so it was more a matter of reserving it - we just had to make sure it was cleaned up when we left). Maybe a local college would do something similar?

Well, what I end up doing is bribing my wife in some fashion. She stays at home with the boy all day, and looks forward to the weekends to get a break. Let’s just say that I have to get more imaginative every month. But, she usually watches him on gamedays. :D

EricNoah

Adventurer
Once per month the the norm around here. But I found that to be not enough, so I joined other groups that also meet once per month. Now I play about 4 times per month in 4 different games. I get my fix in, but no one of us has to prepare more than one session's worth of material per month.

Turanil

First Post
Kuld said:
I was wondering how many of you share my problem. :heh:
This is alas a problem my group has shared. It was partly resolved when I found a new group playing every monday nights, but gaming sessions are too short for my taste, and half of it is spent in out-of-game discussions.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Once a month is what we do.

Every relationship is unique, so I can't give blanket advice for all married men, but the key for me was decalring game night my "guys night out". My wife has her girl's night and then its my turn to look after the baby.

My friends are also very respectful when we play at my place. They make polite conversation with my wife when they arrive, etc.

The real problem is remebering what happend in the last game. A message board is a must for any group that meets infrequently.

Remove ads