D&D 5E Moonblade aka versatile finesse weapon

Paraxis

Explorer
Step 1. Convince your DM to give your NG Elf or Half-elf character a legendary magic item.
Step 2. Convince him to let one of the runes be the "gains finesse" one.
Step 3. Kill things

Multiple times in different threads since the PHB came out people wondered if they would ever put out a versatile or two handed finesse weapon, some thought when they got around to katana it would be such a weapon, but you don't have to wait with the Moonblade on page 217 of the DMG such a weapon is already here.

So the first build that comes to mind is a fighter/ranger/rogue

Fighter gives you access to the needed two handed fighting style that this character is built around, the ability to reroll all damage dice that come up as 1' or 2's as long as the weapon is two-handed or versatile.

Ranger is used for it's ability to add extra damage dice, via Colossus Slayer ability and the Hunter's Mark spell.

Rogue is used for sneak attack damage dice.

The only ability score requirements are Dex 13 and Wis 13, you want to max out Dexterity anyway so no issue there.

Ranger 3 (the colossus slayer ability and spells)
Rogue 5 (the extra die of sneak attack and uncanny dodge)
Fighter 12 (3 attacks, and the ability score increases, and go champion for increased threat range on crits)

So every damage die the 1's and 2's are rerolled, you crit more often and all those dice are doubled, you have base damage of d10(weapon) + Dex + Sneak Attack + Colossus Slayer + Hunters Mark

Yes I understand the chances of a DM giving a character a legendary magic item early enough to build their character around is next to nothing, but it was a fun thought experiment.

Also now that they have opened the can of worms that is a versatile finesse weapon, maybe we might see just an ordinary weapon like a katana in a future book with both properties.

pukunui

Legend
Step 1. Convince your DM to give your NG Elf or Half-elf character a legendary magic item.
Step 2. Convince him to let one of the runes be the "gains finesse" one.
I've managed to do this. I'm going with an Oath of the Ancients paladin, though. Probably MCing into bard. Will be going sword and board.

An easier way to get a versatile finesse weapon would be to ask your DM for a sun blade instead. It's only rare, rather than legendary.

On a side note: Anyone got a good picture of a moonblade?

Paraxis

Explorer
Good point on the sunblade, I missed that.

Elaith_craulnober-eladrin.jpg

sword3.jpg

eilistraees_moonblade.jpg

Remove ads