Moonfall trailer

Did anyone here read Seveneves by Neal Stephenson? A thing that's never explained cracks the moon apart, and humanity has about two years before the debris raining into the atmosphere renders the planet uninhabitable.

So humanity moves into orbit.

MarkB

Legend
Did anyone here read Seveneves by Neal Stephenson? A thing that's never explained cracks the moon apart, and humanity has about two years before the debris raining into the atmosphere renders the planet uninhabitable.

So humanity moves into orbit.
"Orbit" as in "where there are billions of tons of rocks flying around now"?

And "humanity" as in "the miniscule percentage that could possibly be moved within that timeframe"?

Mallus

Legend
Roland Emmerich makes passable imitations of the Irwin Allen disaster movies of my youth. Therefore, I approve of this.

Besides, the moon -- harboring a massive impossible secret -- slamming into the Earth is inherently more interesting than a tall building on fire or an airport.

"Orbit" as in "where there are billions of tons of rocks flying around now"?

And "humanity" as in "the miniscule percentage that could possibly be moved within that timeframe"?
Orbit, as in the place where you can predict the paths of all those rocks of any worrisome size, and humanity, as in about 1500 people distributed between one large settlement (a retrofitted ISS) and an adaptable cluster of several hundred small pods that can link up or disperse as needed. Plus a very large comet looped in to provide a source of water and reaction fuel.

Don't worry. It doesn't work very well for very long.

MarkB

Legend
Orbit, as in the place where you can predict the paths of all those rocks of any worrisome size, and humanity, as in about 1500 people distributed between one large settlement (a retrofitted ISS) and an adaptable cluster of several hundred small pods that can link up or disperse as needed. Plus a very large comet looped in to provide a source of water and reaction fuel.

Don't worry. It doesn't work very well for very long.
At orbital velocities, "worrisome size" is a pebble, especially if you're in a retrofitted ISS. Other than that, fair enough.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, leaving aside the ludicrous premise, if the editing in the movie is anything like that trailer I'll give it a miss. Just a minute of those awful jump/dissolves was making me nauseous.
Trailers are typically outsourced to separate companies, and directors are often unhappy with them.

At orbital velocities, "worrisome size" is a pebble, especially if you're in a retrofitted ISS. Other than that, fair enough.
If you're orbiting at the same rate, though, it's not like you're actually going to have an impact at a dangerous relative velocity, right? That's my understanding.

MarkB

Legend
If you're orbiting at the same rate, though, it's not like you're actually going to have an impact at a dangerous relative velocity, right? That's my understanding.
Sure, but "the moon splitting in half" is not conducive to "everything orbiting at the same rate". Rocks are going to be heading off in all directions, larger chunks colliding with each other and spraying off more debris. By the time any of that gets all the way down to low orbit, it could be coming in from any angle, and at massive relative velocities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases