Moonfolk

Yunru

Banned
Banned
First time using homebrewery, so here's hoping it's a success:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyZ6EMuF4Z

[sblock]Moonfolk

Moonfolk are a magical people of otherworldly grace, living in the world but not entirely part of it. They live in places of ethereal beauty, in the midst of clouds and stars. Cities comprised of vast spires that reach to the heavens glisten in the reflected moonlight, all but invisible by day. Moonfolk are purveyors of myth and lore, and always seek to expand their collection.

Slender and Graceful
With their unearthly grace and lithe features, moonfolk appear enchantingly beautiful to humans and members of other races. They are slightly shorter than humans on average, ranging from 4 feet tall to just over 6 feet. They are more slender than humans, weighing only 100 to 145 pounds. Males and females are about the same height, and females are only marginally heavier than males.

Moonfolk possess rabbit-like ears that are often elaborately tattooed. Despite this they lack facial hair of any kind, and often have eyebrows tattooed on when interacting with other races. Moonfolk prefer sweeping robes and dresses, in countenance to their disdain for the impractical.

A Timeless Perspective
Moonfolk can live for several centuries, granting a broad yet somewhat apathetic view of events as they unfold. While shorter-lived races might be troubled by such events, moonfolk prefer to let history unfold as it shall, without their interference. The only exception to this is when out in the world studying or gathering folklore and knowledge, as their involvement in such cases is viewed to be part of the history.

When interacting with other races, Moonfolk are impartial and pragmatic, only devoting themselves to a course of action if it has the best success of their wanted outcome.

A Nocturnal People
With skin as pale as snow and hair to match, Moonfolk prefer to go about their activities during the night and rest during the day, when the sun shines unrelentingly upon their floating cities.

While they can function during the day without impairment, Moonfolk are quick to burn under the sun's light and thus are rarely seen without a parasol or veil of some sort.

Hidden Skylands
Moonfolk cities float about the clouds, sustained by ancient magics. While a beautiful sight at night, consisting of winding towers reach heavenward and a flowing architecture, the cities turn invisible to all below in the sun's light.

Documentation and Lore
Moonfolk culture places an extreme emphasis on history and lore, and their cities possess vast libraries unrivalled in their collections. From a young age moonfolk are taught about the world below, its follies, and its achievements. Among the moonfolk, to be called ignorant is one of the greatest insults, akin to cursing them to become a complete failure, for they believe that one who is unaware of the past is doomed to fail.

Moonfolk Names
As children, moonfolk only possess their family name. Instead moonfolk earn their first name by achieving something of note, and are named after the event in question. Little distinction exists between male and female names, as they are associated more with the achievement that earned them and the success of others that share the name.
Elf Names: Hakken, Musha, Noboru, Shi, Tamikoden, Yasu

Moonfolk Traits
Your moonfolk character shares a number of traits with others of its species.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence increases by 2 and your Wisdom increases by 1.

Age. Moonfolk mature at the same rate as humans, but aren't considered adults until they are declared a master of their field. Moonfolk typically come of age at around 100 years old, and can live to be 750 or older.

Alignment. Moonfolk place a heavy emphasis on non-interference, believing that what will be is what will be. As such they lean strongly towards the Lawful Neutral alignment.

Size. Moonfolk range from under 5 to over 6 feet tall and have slender builds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Accustomed to the night's sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of silver.

Magical Scholars. As a people, Moonfolk are trained in the basis of magic from a young age. As such, you have proficiency in the Arcana skill.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Trance. Moonfolk don't need to sleep. Instead, they enter a state of semiconsciousness for four hours a day. More experienced Moonfolk can use this semiconscious state to meditate deeply or perform mental exercises. After resting this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

Lunar Magic. You know the dancing lights cantrip.

When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the faerie fire spell once per day.

When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the moonbeam spell once per day.

Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Moonspeak.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I don't know if sleep is the greatest spell here. Even by 3rd level it is losing its shine, and it really doesn't age well after that. Moonbeam has a bit of the same problem. Utility spells I think are more appealing as racial abilities. Maybe silent image or fog cloud for a level 1 spell? Maybe blur or darkvision for level 2?

Or you could automatically up the level of the slot with character level.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Hmm. I was aiming more for thematics than balance, but yeah, I think I'll swap out Sleep (probably for Faerie Fire or Feather Fall). Moonbeam's on par with Darkness for the Drow.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So... seems I never swapped Sleep out.
Oh well, it gives me time to get second opinions, and suggestions on what to swap it with.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Here's what I want.

3 subraces (the current version can be one of them) so that if a setting has more than one moon, each moon can have it's own associated subrace of Moonfolk.

:p

Anyway, Mechanically they seem sound, I'd certainly allow them.

Yeah, I'd switch sleep out for Faerie Fire. I find it more thematic with Dancing Lights and Moonbeam. Sleep would seem like an odd choice for a race that's immune to magical sleep and doesn't do normal sleep either.

Tallifer

Hero
At first I thought of these Moonfolk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moon_Hoax :

Great-Moon-Hoax-1835-New-York-Sun-lithograph-298px.jpg

clutchbone

First Post
Feather Fall would make sense as they live in winding towers up in the clouds. Detect magic also fits with their magical scholar theme.

The pic on homebrewery threw me off after reading the description here, as it doesn't have rabbit ears but does have facial hair (fur, whiskers).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Feather Fall would make sense as they live in winding towers up in the clouds. Detect magic also fits with their magical scholar theme.

The pic on homebrewery threw me off after reading the description here, as it doesn't have rabbit ears but does have facial hair (fur, whiskers).

Oops. The pic isn't supposed to show, it's the filler from homebrewery

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Although the placeholder did remind me of a certain meme circulating at the moment, crossed over with porgs.

[sblock]
4a8179462cfdf39054a418efd4cb743e.jpg
[/sblock]

Remove ads