Dragonlance More DRAGONLANCE Information: Kender, Battles, W&H's Novels, & More!

In addition to the official videos announcing Dragonlance releases for late 2022, I got to talk to talk to the D&D team and get a few more details not in the public D&D Direct event.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.41.16 PM.png

• Because Dragonlance is a setting about war, Ray Winninger, Executive Producer of Dungeons & Dragons, was asked if Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen would have large-scale combat rules. He said that they would in an broad abstract form. The board game or battle game Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn is actually focused on large-scale combat and can be played independently or RPG players could switch to Warriors of Krynn for their big combat scenes, including porting in their characters and then switch back to the RPG after the battle. So the RPG adventure can be played alone, the board game can be played alone or they can be combined, depending upon the group's preference.
  • Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn is a cooperative game.
  • When asked if Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn could be used for large-scale battles in other D&D settings Winninger said it was designed with that idea in mind. However, if Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn is poplar they'll consider making more customized, large-scale combat board games for other settings.
  • Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen is a brand new story, independent of the upcoming novel, Dragonlance: Dragons of Deceit. Winninger said that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are telling their own story set in Krynn while Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen is a different story set in Krynn and is blazing a trail to help players create their own stories in Krynn. So Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen and Dragons of Deceit are both set in the same world but different stories.
  • There will be some cameos from old Dragonlance characters, especially villains, in Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen.
  • Price points for Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn and Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen are not finalized yet.
  • When asked about player races for Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen – especially Kender – Winninger said that Kender have gotten a good reception from the Unearthed Arcana play test but they're making some tweaks. Yes, Kender will be an option. He said the play test material gives hints as to what playable races it will have but would not mention to confirm any specifically beyond Kender.

Last edited:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

kapars

Adventurer
I understand the motivations behind the design of them but its ended up as something unrecognisable as Kender. I hope the tweaks do something to address that. I’m glad at least that they don’t seem to be re-writing Dragonlance history with this
I didn’t know what they were to begin with. The Taunt ability seemed like a lot of fun and a reason to accumulate languages.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Well, Kobold Press has us covered with Ursines(Midgard's Bearfolk). Draconians will probably be refluffed Dragonborn or the book will say use Dragonborn in place. And Firbolgs/Half-Orcs would be refluffed Half-Ogres.
The 5e Players Handbook mentions draconians in the Dragonborn section, I think that's a safe bet.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
According to someone at the virtual press conference Draconians were also confirmed, but they would neither confirm nor deny Gully Dwarves.
If the adventure is set during the War of the Lance, all Draconians are minions of the Dark Queen. They didn't having a change to be "good" until after her defeat. So having one as a PC would again be change that doesnt exactly fit.

In another tweet they said this adventure would easily fit into the books narrative yet changing Kender and Gully Dwarves and Draconioans etc would show that not to be true.

Does Tass just use Faewild Powers to get Glasses of True Seeing which was needed to help the heroes at one point? If you change or remove Bupu the Gully Dwarf that seriously changes things for Raistlin.

Etc

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases