• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

more druid questions, add monk.

calighis

First Post
I got a suggestion from a friend to take my first level in monk to supplement four levels of druid. One of the players said that flurry of blows would not be accessible in any shapeshifted form, and that my wis bonus to my AC would not stack with AC from a shapeshifted form.
Is that true?
In general what are the best combos with druid to achieve the best PRC's and specifically what advantages would i get form taking levels in monk?

Starbuck_II

First Post
I got a suggestion from a friend to take my first level in monk to supplement four levels of druid. One of the players said that flurry of blows would not be accessible in any shapeshifted form, and that my wis bonus to my AC would not stack with AC from a shapeshifted form.
Is that true?
In general what are the best combos with druid to achieve the best PRC's and specifically what advantages would i get form taking levels in monk?
One player is a smoking something. Souhnds like good stuff.

First, Flurry of blows works in Wild Shaped form (do you mean Shapeshift from PHB 2?), but only with unarmed strikes.
Yes, even a bear can make those.

And yes, a Druid wearing Monk's belt or a Monk with 5 Druid levels can add Wisdom to AC while Wild Shaped.
Monk bonus to AC isn't a natural armor bonus (would overlap unless enhancment bonus like Barkskin which would stack), but a Wisdom bonus.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
One player is a smoking something. Souhnds like good stuff.

First, Flurry of blows works in Wild Shaped form (do you mean Shapeshift from PHB 2?), but only with unarmed strikes.
Yes, even a bear can make those.

And yes, a Druid wearing Monk's belt or a Monk with 5 Druid levels can add Wisdom to AC while Wild Shaped.
Monk bonus to AC isn't a natural armor bonus (would overlap unless enhancment bonus like Barkskin which would stack), but a Wisdom bonus.

5 levels of Druid? A Druid x / Monk 1 gets wis to AC +1/5 monk levels.

For flurry of blows, not only can you do an unarmed flurry, you could then follow up with all the bear's natural attacks as secondary naturaly attacks (-5 to hit and half str to damage). Druid/Monk is a very strong combo, though still not necessarily worth the CL loss.

VanRichten

First Post
For flurry of blows, not only can you do an unarmed flurry, you could then follow up with all the bear's natural attacks as secondary naturaly attacks (-5 to hit and half str to damage). Druid/Monk is a very strong combo, though still not necessarily worth the CL loss.

I don't think the part where you said "Follow up with all the bear's natural attacks as secondary natural attacks" applies. As those are considered an entirely different attack routine.

In the case of a Monk/Druid in shifted form the flurry of blows would not apply. The reason is that no matter how many attacks you have at whatever level you always use the attack routine of the shifted form. This means that if you are a 15th level fighter/5th level Druid and shifted into a bear you would still only recieve Claw/Claw/Bite as your attack routine not the 5 Attacks you would possibly have because of your fighter levels. The form you take dictates the number of attacks you gain based on its natural attack routine.

Now in the case of your Wisdom to AC you would gain this as this is a class ability that does not change based on form.

Runestar

First Post
For what it is worth, the FAQ does clarify that you are allowed to follow up your normal unarmed attack routine with all your natural weapons as secondary attacks. Unarmed strikes can be made with any part of your body, so wildshaping will not invalidate that.:)

This means that yes, a dire bear from the MM could in theory attack with unarmed strikes, followed by claw/claw/bite as secondary attacks. Just that they don't do it because it is deemed a suboptimal alternative.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To add to the fun, follow the link in my sig to the Monk Database- options abound.

For instance, you could, for instance, take the full 5 level progression in the Shou Disciple PrCl, at which point you could FoB with any weapon...yes, that would include Bear Claws.

As I recall, there are also animal-themed and shapeshifting Base class variants and PrCls in there as well.

Remove ads