D&D 5E More Organic Dungeons

Aldarc

Legend
The proto-D&D dungeons that we find in the Hobbit (i.e., the goblin caves) and Lord of the Rings (i.e,. Moria and Erebor) were lived-in. Likewise, some of the "dungeons" that we see Sword & Sorcery heroes traverse are the ruins of ancient cities. A number had high-level threats that the participants had no hope of beating, but these can be telegraphed in advance.

So I would potentially consider constructing "organic dungeons" with some questions.

• What civilization originally created this ruin? What function did it serve then?
  • What in the Nine Hells happened to it?
  • Who was there in the interim?
  • Who lives there now? What function does it serve now?
  • Do any factions have connections to or invested interest in the site?
  • What rumors surround the site?

But also how does this dungeon represent an obstacle for the PCs? In the above cases of the goblin caves and Moria in the Misty Mountains, these dungeons were not the objectives. They represented obstacles that were in the way of the PCs objectives. The Fellowship didn't go into Moria to kill a balrog; they went into Moria to get through the mountains.

Another design consideration I would take note of is Metroidvania games. These are games designed with areas/rooms that the character may not be able to access when they start out but can return to later once they get a certain ability, item, or skill.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
  • What civilization originally created this ruin? What function did it serve then?
  • What in the Nine Hells happened to it?
  • Who lives there now? What function does it serve now?
  • Do any factions have connections to or invested interest in the site?
  • What rumors surround the site?
Also -- who was there in the interim. This is especially important for the kind of dungeon that is full of weird and wondrous things. Exiled sorcerers leaving behind strange experiments. Cults that managed to summon their "god" only to be devoured by it where it still lurks. Etc. A lot of what is considered incongruent in dungeon design can be made "rational" by assuming a long period of occupation by many different entities and factions.

Aldarc

Legend
Also -- who was there in the interim. This is especially important for the kind of dungeon that is full of weird and wondrous things. Exiled sorcerers leaving behind strange experiments. Cults that managed to summon their "god" only to be devoured by it where it still lurks. Etc. A lot of what is considered incongruent in dungeon design can be made "rational" by assuming a long period of occupation by many different entities and factions.
Good point. I'll edit that question back in.

Remove ads