More Sigil to come

Jack99

Adventurer
Rejoice Planescape fans and 4e lovers! It seems we are not done with Sigil. From today's article about Sigil in the DMG2

Bill Slavicsek said:
Bill: This was fun to put together, and I can’t wait for us to find a product to devote more fully to the City of Doors. Planar adventuring is part of the core D&D experience now and not a separate campaign, and products such as Manual of the Planes, The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos, and The Plane Above: Secrets of the Astral Sea all help expand play beyond the natural world. I’m sure we’ll tackle Sigil in a larger manner when the time is right.

Sounds good to me!

DDI-required link

Last edited:

EroGaki

First Post
Sigh, I wish they would have shown some love for Sigil and Darksun in 3E. Oh well, at least those settings aren't dead.

Last edited:

avin

First Post
Some interesting bits of info.

Michele: (...)back in 1997, when the Planescape team was working on a project called City of Doors, meant to follow Faction War

She says she had the files on a floppy disk and used some of it on DMG2.

Hellzon

First Post
Hah, some said Planescape was dead. I believed them, but after MOTP, DMG2 and apparently at least one more book, it seems not. :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
I waited several hours before responding to this

I have amazingly mixed feelings about this. Seeing more stuff for Sigil would be awesome, but it's not exactly Sigil, it's the 4e Sigil with a lot of Planescape's atmosphere and core notions removed and replaced with those of the 4e PoL cosmology.

Any book on Sigil itself really depends on who writes it. DMG2 was pretty good (some dissonance from 4e tropes getting inserted or requiring changes aside), and Michelle Carter seems to have a played a large role in making sure that the 4e Sigil was handled very differently from say, 4e FR. That's very cool.

Again depending on who wrote it, and how hard the 4e default intruded into the city's flavor, I could see myself buying this (and I've not been enamored of 4e planar material at all). It isn't the same City of Doors, but if the adaptation to 4e is done faithfully and most importantly by someone who knows the material and respects the material (not "bullet in the head" followed by giggles and apparently not knowing basic cosmology details, etc) then this could be really cool.

Regardless of edition, this would be a really cool project to work on, but that's probably not going to happen.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
it's not exactly Sigil, it's the 4e Sigil with a lot of Planescape's atmosphere and core notions removed and replaced with those of the 4e PoL cosmology.

I think the 4e cosmology is more Planescape-friendly, especially with the Astral Sea providing more variety of ways to wander the planes and . Alignments aren't as strongly typed, but that could mean more focus on the factions. 2e had that, but then they introduced the Factol Wars and suddenly all the PCs had death vendettas against each other.

Any book on Sigil itself really depends on who writes it.

Absolutely.

Remove ads