MORGRAVE ADVENTURES

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“02 THE SCROLL OF DURGARDUS”
SEGMENT 11
“THE GUARDIANS OF THE TEMPLE OF AUREON”
10/18/15

LHARVION 3, 1000

It takes a long time for the goliath to work his way up and he accidently breaks the alter while doing it. The horses are safe and the doors remain closed.

“Getting dark out, we should stay here until the morning to gather our strength.” Suggests the ranger as he looks at the goliath whom looks very weak from his encounter with the undead.

Resting, the dwarf thumbs the book he collected. He is about to open it when Kar-Draith sits up suddenly alert. “Something is outside…. Near the doors.” He draws his bow. The brawler steps up to the door putting his body between the doors and the horses. The dwarf puts the book away and positions himself so that Hardfist AND the horses are between him and the outer doors.

Something runs up to the door and hits it.

Nothing. Only silence.

Five minutes later it happens again. Then again. And again. Then there several thuds.

“More than one creature is out there.” Adds the lizardfolk.

“Stay inside.” Warns the dwarf. “Whatever it is cannot open the doors.”

With that a wicked thump as something leaps at the door. The door moves back an inch. Several more attempts then again… opens a few inches this time. A clawed bruised hand carefully tests the doorway by reaching in but withdraws with a hiss.

The horses are becoming skittish but the might and mass of the goliath holds them still. Another hit that further opens the door another few inches. This time a gaunt black eyed bald face looks in then hisses in annoyance and withdraws before the ranger can fire an arrow at it.

Nothing.

Silence.

Then the brawler yelps. “Do you hear that?!?”

They do. Whatever it is, it is attacking the out walls now. Possibly looking for a weak point to attack from. This continues for several hours until the first hint of the rising morning sun appears. Whatever the creatures were, they leave with the coming of the sunlight.

Once they feel it is safe, the goliath opens the doors completely and they flee the area in the safety of the burning bright sunlight.

LHARVION 6, 1000

One the way back they spot a giant large red lizard. Thinking it is okay to look closer, the dwarf leads them in. Once he sees a bit of smoke rising from its nostrils he quietly motions for a retreat. “That is no ordinary lizard and we should avoid it.” As such, the Redspawn Firebelcher lives to eat another day.

LHARVION 7, 1000

They reach the mining town of Zolanberg and take to the Rusty Dragon and sleep well. The goliath has recovered his strength (and more importantly his lost CON stats) and feels much better.

LHARVION 10, 1000

They reach Sharn and crawl to their apartment to sleep and rest further. As the others sleep, the dwarf finally gets to look at his book. He is startled as he opens a random page and strong glowing blue glyphs are on the pages shown. He is unsure what it is but closes it quickly with a loud thumping snap. He guesses those are Draconic Prophecy Glyphs.

Curious.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“02 THE SCROLL OF DURGARDUS”
SEGMENT 12
“DEALING WITH THE DEVIL”
10/18/15

LHARVION 11, 1000

The dwarf has thought this through carefully during the night. He refuses to be had by the gnome again.

They take the same path back to the gnome district. The gardener is outside once more. He raises an eyebrow as the three adventurers march past him and go through the door. Inside the dwarf calls out the gnome- “Alina! Show yourself!”

The room has a dusky effect as if a storm were coming through that was blocking out the sun. The cage and birds are not there. It makes the dwarf wonder if the birds were EVER there. Could they also have been an illusion?

Soon there is a swoosh sound like a rogue breeze and she appears. This time she is dressed in purple and blue sequin dress. She is perfect. Again. Illusion or real?

“Welcome back my wonderful heroes of Morgrave. Was your trip successful?” She asks while a table rises from the floor with fresh fruit and a picture of water. The smell of freshly baked bread rises and when she turns she has bread and butter also. “Please- sit. You are guests.”

“Is that what we are to you?” growls the dwarf.

“No. YOU are so much more to me. Your friends also.”

Hardfist’s stomach growls at the smell of the bread. He slept through breakfast.

“Stop trying to charm me. I see through your games now.”

“Games?” she asks innocently.

The lizardfolk archer finds this argument to suddenly be hollow. Why is the dwarf giving his friend so much grief. She is offering food and her hospitality along with the rewards of a job well done. The goliath just hopes he can have some bread and maybe pat the colorful birds again. As a friend, she may if he remains nice.

The dwarf pulls out the crushed scroll and slaps it onto the table next to the food. “There.”

She gives a tight smile as she lifts the scroll. Her eyes never leave the dwarf’s. She looks at it. “It is damaged.”

“Found it that way. It was being used a bookmark.”

“That is why they did not find it. It…… “ She states quietly then realizes she spoke out loud. Wardrum is hopeful. That was her first obvious slip-up. He is getting to her. “Bread for my mighty hero?” she offers again with a sensual smile and a twinkle in her eye.

She is just beginning to think she has charmed him when the big man suddenly reaches out and collects much of the bread. “Thank you! I like bread. UMMMM…. It is still warm from the kiln.” It breaks the moment.

“I sense frustration my dear. Is there anything I can do for you? Massage maybe?” and she sashays around him sliding a jeweled ringer along his wide dwarven shoulders. “A shaved dwarf is so… refreshing.”

“You poisoned us!” He blurts out.

“Poisoned?” She giggles. “Silly- I didn’t poison you. Why poison you. It would make you not… UP for the task I wanted and craved to have done.” She circles around to face him. “Did you think I would poison you? I merely was talking about my interest in things Elven.”

The dwarf is furious.

“WHAT?!?” he screams out loud. Both of the other two stop in mid bite of their shared bread. “You never …. You made us believe…. You manipulating whore of a…..”

“Flattery works but only so far. Did you find anything else of interest?”

Blinking several times as if waking up from a short day dream, the lizardfolk shakes his head. “Payment. We were told we would get our second half once we returned with the scroll.”

Her smile wavers. She provides three more coin purses. “Anything?”

“Why should we? What if I found a powerful weapon to destroy you?” he challenges as he creates an illusion of six crystals of sparkling colors.

“I would pay you for it handsome.” She purrs as he suddenly finds his illusion possessed as the crystals float into a pattern that looks like a prancing horse. This is when the dwarf knows he is outclassed and needs to finish this up and leave- forever.

“I have this. I know not what it speaks of but it appears magical.” Kar-Draith provides the book he found. She peers slowly at it then for the second time, she loses her control for a brief moment. It is clear to the dwarf that she knows what this is and wants it. Just as quickly her expression of need and greed appears, the look of bored interest reappears.

“A book. Strange language. Is it a puzzle?” She asks as she places her small hand on the cover. The archer pulls it back.

“How much?”

“100 gold.”

The dwarf waves away that bid. The archer waits for a higher bid. “200 gold?”

She begins to pull the book back to her when the dwarf adds his strength to the archer’s. The book stops and a crinkle of anger appears on her face. “That is equal to the payment of the original deal. That is four hundred gold you will receive total.”

Again the dwarf waves it off. The lizardfolk ranger hesitates then agrees…. “Higher.”

“I am a woman of many means but to pay so much for a puzzle book? Very well- I have connections throughout Sharn. I have pull with the Watch, the Mayor and even the Citadel. Even in other countries. 200 gold and a favor asked of me.”

The dwarf hesitates as he wonders if this is another bluff or the truth which the ranger takes as encouragement. “Agreed.” And he raises his hand and the gnome greedily pulls it to her and looks once before putting the impossible mass of the tome into her pocket of the robe that leaves not so much as a wrinkle.

“Anything else?”

“Not from I.” answers the archer.

She looks at the goliath whom shrugs and finishes off his juice.

The dwarf offers the book about gems. He is aware how helpful gems and crystals are to an illusionist. They have a battle of bids also that results in the same 200 gold and a favor. It is not what he wanted but it places him that much closer to paying off his loan with Tarvash.

As the goliath wiggles through the doorway, they can hear her call out an endearing goodbye and names the dwarf by his full name. The care keeper, even with his thick and large facial hair, is obviously smiling as the three of them leave.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
“03 FIND JAXEN WILLOWTRENDER”
SEGMENT 13
“ZILSHIRE’S MISSING EXPLORER”
10/25/15

LHARVION 13, 1000 UNDER SHARN

Kar-Draith quietly has left the company of his friends from Morgrave and traveled deep into the tower bases. He is looking for something in the dark tunnels. He comes across a goblin. For a coin or a promise of no harm the goblin tells him where to go. He repeats this three times before reaching a small deserted underground tunnel complex where goblins and creatures that can be barely referred as humanoid lurk.

He is greeted by a shadow, From the shadow steps out a black cloaked goblin. They whisper and nod to an agreement. The trip back to the night sky above is long as the archer becomes lost several times. Luckily he is not attacked by any of the cutthroats that call these lower levels home.

LHARVION 15, 1000 MORGRAVE SUITES
There is a knock at the door and Hardfist answers the door. It is a gnome messenger of House Sivis. He hands you a message and puts out his hand. Instead of a tip, he gets the door closed in his face by the goliath whom is excited to get a message.

The dwarven inquisitor takes the letter from the giant of a man and opens it. As he reads it to himself he frowns a bit. The lizardfolk archer comes out from his room and asks what the message is. “Professor Zilshire wants us at his office immediately. He has learned of something and wants our help.”

Due to the ongoing agreement, they have little choice but to comply. They gather a few items in case of sudden need for travel and head out.

The annoying and teenage-like ½ elf is at the office. She is the secretary hired a month or so ago after the professor’s first secretary disappeared. “Where, like, are you going this time?” she asks nearly jumping up and down in excitement.

“Don’t know if we are going anywhere. Is the professor in?” asks the dwarf.

“I bet it’s Thrane. Thrane is so fun and exciting!”

“Have you ever been to Thrane?” asks the dwarf in utter amazement.

Ignoring his sarcastic retort she goes on. “Maybe Karrnath. The land of the dead!” and she raises her arms to look like a cartoonish zombie. The effort brings a smile to Hardfist. “Aundair? That IS where you went last time isn’t it? I bet you did. The land of Magic. Did you go to a floating tower? Did you see a Dragonhawk? Oh I am so jealous! I just know you saw a Dragonhawk.” Wardrum is happy for once that the professor has grown impatient and shouts for them to enter.

The office is as a mess as ever. Papers piled high. Tomes piled up like totems. Even a few maps are out that were not there before. The Goliath returns his interest to statues on the top shelves.

“As you know, I have been reading and studying the tome Saas traded. One name occurred several times. I have asked a few friends to learn whatever they can about him and now I ask you also. I wish to learn where Jaxen Willowtrender is and get in contact with him.”
“What do you know about him?” asks the dwarven inquisitor.

“Mr. Willowtrender was once a Wayfinder out of the local Sharn office. Amazingly enough, he was also an aid for Professor Gillard Rhen here at Morgrave. I believe he has a similar agreement as we have. He may even live in the same tower as you.”

“Professor Rhen….” Begins the dwarf.

“He lectures about pre-gobliniod civilization here at Morgrave.”

“Very well, we’ll ask around.” Says the dwarf whom looks to both of his allies. The goliath quickly snaps to innocent attention and smiles.

“Wonderful. I will continue asking around myself. Should we agree to meet here again tomorrow mourning?”

In agreement, the three head out of the office doing their best to avoid and ignore the secretary as she asks many questions once more.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 14
“EXCUSE ME, DO YOU ……”
10/25/15

LHARVION 15, 1000 MORGRAVE UNIVERSITY FRONT LAWN

The three of them begin questioning the local students. It takes a while as most are afraid of the lizardfolk and goliath. Most of them know nothing about Willowtrender. A few say he worked with the Professor Rhen until recently. Two of the female students curse and storm away.

Nearly at the point of giving up, you come across a student that seems open to your questioning. Aurora , a half-elf, says he lives in a suit below them When given the floor, Wardrum realizes he is the very next floor down from themselves.

Going back to their apartment, they go to Willowtrender’s apartment. The dwarf looks around briefly then quickly works the locked door. It pops open and he puts away his tools and wipes the grease from the knob to his pants. He takes two steps then freezes up…. Paralyzed. “That sneaky bastard….” Thinks the dwarf.

Kar-Draith asks Hardfist to take the dwarf outside into the hallway as begins to look around. Lifting him by his back collar, the dwarf is carried out like a smelly bag of waste.

The layout is much like their own suite. The lizardfolk goes to the first door on his left, the storage closet. It is locked. Hoping not to alert Jaxen of their being there, he passes up this door. The room is a bedroom. Clean and empty as if never used. The next door is slightly ajar. He looks in to find a total mess. The bed is unmade, pillows on the bed and floor. Blankets half dragged out the bed onto the floor. Looks like he is an uneasy sleeper or he left in a hurry.

The next room has had the bed removed. A table and a handful of books and papers sit there. Before going in the archer looks to the fallen dwarf. The goliath is rubbing his back and trying to get him to awake. Lose change and odd objects used to search an area for clues fall out of his pockets as the goliath lifts him up and gently shakes him…. Upside down. Smiling, the archer moves to the next room.
It is another empty and unused bedroom.

The lizardfolk looks briefly into the water room when he hears the dwarf grumble loudly for the goliath to put him down. Picking up his lost belongings, he stomps to the entrance. Disgusted with himself for not seeing the contact poison on the knob, he kicks the door the rest of the way open.

Carefully checking the knob and door, he tries to unlock the closet. No luck. He follows the route the archer took. At the desk area he takes a moment to read the titles of the books. It appears the Wayfinder was researching magic that involves wards and protection. He sees a calendar… Lharvion the 14th is circled with the word Passage written. Hardfist spots a bottle of whiskey on the floor but is told not to touch it. Wardrum fears more tricks with poison.

“Now what?” questions the lizardfolk.

“Ever been to Undersharn?”

“No.” Lies the archer.

Going straight down to the base of the tower they were in, they reach one section of the area referred to as Undersharn. It is the space between safety of civilization and the dangers of the Cogs.

The tunnels are dark, often the magical lighting set up has been stolen or in most cases- destroyed. Many of the more dubious races stalk these tunnels and call them home. Goblins, dark cloaked Halflings, gnolls and an occasional minotaur are seen. They come into a slightly better location that is closer to the docks based on the slight smell of salt and low-tide over the otherwise sour smell of waste. The dwarf leads them to a tavern called The Blind Eye. “Remember- let me do the talking. Don’t touch anything or anyone. The people here can be very unfriendly. Respect them and you will be okay.”

“Strange people you know….” Suggests the archer once the dwarf enters the tavern. Inside there is a thick smoke filled with the tastes of stale ale and body odor. Dwarves, goblins and a few races with no clear lineage sit about quietly drinking and discussing events the Watch would rather not know about.

“Wardrum! Love you’ve come back! So good to see you again.” Calls out a woman near the entrance. She shuffles over quickly and gives the dwarf a big hug. His face is buried in her large and exposed bosom. Kar-Draith hisses as he giggles. Hardfist watches with fascination. “After everything with Tobus we were not sure if we ever see you again!”

“Yeah about that- can we keep it quiet? Is Dunlup in?”

“Oh he will be happy to see you again. He’s by the bar.” The three of them move past her to an open table. The archer and Brawler both sit down.

“Don’t touch anything. Don’t touch anyone. Don’t talk to anyone. And please- don’t drink anything. I should be back shortly.” He looks to both of them with a serious tone. “Understood?” The archer hisses a yes and the goliath nods absent mindedly as he watches several gnolls bark and yip at each other over a game of dice.

The dwarf goes to search out his contact from his early inquisitor days. The other two watch and take note of the activities around them. Games of chance and drinking…. Dark alliances…. So much here. Kar-Draith takes note of it all.

The dwarf sits at the bar. The bar tender has his back to him. “What- I say what will it be my fine gentlemen?”

“There are no gentlemen here.” answers the dwarf.

“I dare to say- is that a voice from the past my ears hear? They he is. There is the ghost of the past. How, I say there boy- how are you doing?” says the large man with a very much larger gut. Several teeth are missing and the remainder are yellow and brown. He sets down the mug and moves to hug the dwarf whom leans back and out of reach.

“I see you are doing as well as ever Longhorn. Blind Eye is busy. Still a lot of people comin’ and going.”

“I say there boy…. Sounds like you are looking for someone. Say- don’t you owe me money?”

“Really? Not that I recall. Jaxen Willowtrender. Morgrave. Wayfinder. Ever hear of him?”

Disappointed that the dwarf recognized his bluff, the large greasy man continues to smile. “Quite the name. He sounds familiar with a name like that. I can ask around.”

Kar-Draith is becoming annoyed as the people here stare at the odd couple. One table is obviously commenting about them when a woman walks into the tavern. The occupants at the table hush up and wait and watch.

She walks over to them with a purposeful stride moving her hips slowly. Her long blonde curly hair seems to perfect to belong here. Her top exposes much of her breasts leaving little to the imagination.
“Oh my…. What a …. Big…. Man you must be.” She gasps as she looks at the Goliath. Kar-Draith hears a quiet giggle from the next table over.

“What kind of man are you?” she asks ignoring the reptilian ranger.

“Heh…. I’m a Goliath.” Giggles Hardfist.

“Do those ridges cover your entire body?” she asks as she slides her hand over his arm. Hardfist’s face becomes a few shades of purple brighter.

“I bet. You can show me…. And I’ll show you mine.” She purrs. One man nearby snorts and spits ale out of his over-sized and broken nose. They laugh…. At him or what was said is unclear.

“How much?” asks the lizardfolk.

She looks at him coldly. He is obviously not her chosen mark. “For this big man…. Five silver.”

The lizardfolk plucks out five silver coins and says “Enjoy.”

“But…..” begins Hardfist.

“It’ll be okay. Just come back to here.”

As the two leave the building the table next to him barks out “Go easy on him Char-letta.”
“Yeah!” begins another dirty human- “Let him decide…..” and a new roar of laughter.

Shortly the dwarf comes over. “Where is he?” he demands.

“Stepped with a young lady of the night. Let him have some fun. Let the boy grow up and learn something in the process.” He hisses.

The waitress, Suzie, comes over again. “Anything to drink?”

“No but maybe you can still help us. I am looking for someone that deals with…. Borrowed goods. A Jaxen Willowtrender.”

“Willowtrender….. oh him. Yeah I know him.”

“You do?!? Is he here?”

“Not seen him in several weeks. Ladies man and a real charmer. He often came here to meet up with his business partners.”

“You say you haven’t seen him in a while. Know where he may have gone?”

“Nope.”

“Thankyou. We’ll be back in a few hours. If you see our friend could you have him stay here?”

They leave and go back up into the light. “I can’t believe you let him wander off like that. And to think, I didn’t believe he even had any coin on him.”

Rolling his reptilian eyes, the archer remains quiet.

“While we give Dunlop a chance to work his magic and come up with a coin amount for his memories, we can visit another contact of mine. Hope you don’t have issues with the Watch.” The lizardfolk almost breaks stride hearing this.

Two hours of wandering the middle districts, they finally spot the contact a few bridges over. It is another twenty minutes of criss-crossing the bridges and tunnels with an occasional stairway before meeting up with-
“Officer Vicegrip…. Bernald Vicegrip. It has been a while.

The Watch officer stops and looks behind him and spots the dwarf. Immediately he looks around to see who else is around. The archer finds this curious. A Watch officer afraid of being seen with an inquisitor.

“What is it Wardrum? Make it fast.” Says the nervous young man. “I have a patrol to finish.”

“Jaxen Willowtrender. Ever hear of him? Wayfinder and procurer of goods.”

“Yeah. Heard of him.” Says the man as once more he checks the tunnel for ease droppers or witnesses.

“And?”

“Minor theft and civil disruptions. Had a falling out with the Wayfinders but nothing could be proved.”

“Couldn’t…. or wouldn’t?”

“Comon Wardrum. I can’t answer questions like that. As it is… if the Watch commander knew I was talking….”

“And how is the commander? Still angry about that incident two years ago? Happened during your watch I believe…….”

“Fine!” He exclaims in a mix of frustration and anger.

“He runs with adventurer groups. You know…. Wayfinders and Tomb Raiders. Rarely runs with the same group twice. Said to fence goods throughout this tower- Morgrave University right down to the Undersharn tunnels.”

“Anything else?”

“No! Now are we even yet? I would think we were.”

“I’ll let you know when we are. Say hello to the commander for me.”

Returning to the Blind Eye they are puzzled by the piles of bodies in some of the hallways. Small gangs of thugs seem to have bitten off more than they could chew. Many deep bruises and broken jaws. The two of them look at each other and pick up their pace. The brawler was here.

They enter the tavern and find fewer people here than before. Suzie rushes over. “Your friend was here…. Dunlup isn’t happy about it. Maybe you should….”

“Wardrum! Wardrum is that you? You lousy son of a troll twice bitten by a leper tick- It’s about time you returned for him!”

“Where is he? Where is Hardfist?”

“Out! I yelled at him and he left. For such a bad-ass he is very much a sissyboy.”

“Sigh…” This is going to be a long night thinks the dwarf. “Learn anything for me?”

“I say- I say…. Aren’t you listening to me boy? Find the galoot and leave.”

“Info first…. Or I will be forced to return.”

“Why I never….. ARHHHH! Fine. Your boy, I say , your boy is an ass. He lies and cheats with every partner and employee he has ever had. More would like to see him dead than alive. Now find him and leave! He is killing my business- literally!”

The bartender’s eyes shot wide open. The dwarf turns and there is the goliath. “I found you!”

Patrons shy away and remain quiet as the big man walks in happily.

“What happened? I asked you….. demanded….you to stay still.”

“Kar-Draith said….” Behind the dwarf, the lizardfolk waves off anything further to be said.

“Said?”

“It would be okay to go with her.”

One customer snorts. “She show you?” he laughs. His drinking partner slaps him from behind.

The dwarf glares at them then looks up at the goliath. “And….”

“She took off her top. She asked what I liked. I thought about snacks and sweet water but thought she meant something else. She offered a bit of both. I’m sorry- I didn’t understand what she meant.”

Another drinker snorts and falls out of his chair.

“Understand….?”

“When she took off her breaches she was a man.”

“It scared me Ronin. It really really scared me.”

He glares at the lizardfolk whom shrugs like “whatever” and they go to the top side.

The goliath will never be the same again.

[DM NOTE: Monitors- please don’t hate me]

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 15
“PASSAGE TO PASSAGE”
10/25/15

LHARVION 16, 1000

After a quick trip in the morning to the Wayfinders in the Uppermost levels, they group learns Jaxen was a member there until he cheated several allies out of artifacts and was suspected of murder with the third and final mission. Hendra ir’Kavay , the Wayfinder organizer of Sharn, hopes nothing but harm comes to him. They travel lower to the Morgrave University and Professor Zilshire’s office.

“This is , like, so exciting!” says the secretary as she shuffles together a prepared lecture about the artifact – Drums of Dang-Garrow.

“Yes- I’m sure it is. The professor is waiting for us. May we?” says the dwarf as he moves past her.

“Ah yes. Any news?” asks the professor whom seems as excited as his secretary.

“You first.”

“He is clearly not to be trusted. Spoke to the Rhen. He has nothing good to say about the man. He has skills and talent but will do whatever brings him the most coin. He was last known to have fled to Aundair this past week.”

“Fled?” thinks the Inquisitor. Yes we learned this and where in Aundair he went. He is in Passage.”

“Passage…. The one woman I spoke to mentioned a contact of his that lived in Passage. A Mr. Blink Dog I believe.

“Do you have the money for this trip?” asks the dwarf.

“Ah…. Kundarak isn’t open yet…. So many delays after that incident….. ah…. Let me see….” He looks into his desk and pulls out a few coins. Another drawer has some more….. With a flustered sigh, he digs into his pockets. A few more coins and some lint come out. The dwarf rolls his eyes. The lizardfolk questions if this is any way to live. Hardfist… well he checking out another top shelf with a sculpture of a tentacle skinny cat that the artist screwed up on. It has six legs.

The professor gets up and climbs over a few stacks of books and papers. He reaches up to a series of books then stops. He looks sharply at the two employees whom are watching his every move. Picking up on what he means, Wardrum looks away and has the archer do the same. The professor pulls down a hollowed book and removes money and Kundarak certificates. He places it back and returns to his desk. The lizardfolk memorizes the shelf and the general area of the book.

“Please go easy on the money. It is mine- not the University’s.”

“Before we go, I wanted you to look at this for me…” says the dwarf as he begins to pull out a book that glows when opened.

“I have no time for that and if you hurry you may make the morning car to Passage.” The professor declares and waves them off. The secretary laughs and tee hees as they leave in a rush. Then a very serious look crosses her face as she pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose again.

They make the electric rail and travel north to Passage. Once more they are in the common room car. It is not as packed as the first time. Kar-Draith asks to look at the book. Seeing no harm in it, the dwarf pulls the book free of his pack. He opens it and the glowing glyphs appears.

Staring at it, the lizardfolk attempts to “read” the glyphs. “The symbols seem like a stylized draconic. I speak draconic.”

“Well….?” Asks the dwarf with renewed curiosity.

The archer spends fifteen minutes trying to decipher the glyphs. “I’m sorry. I can only make out a few words.”

“Which are?”

“Flooded Money…. or Flooded Treasure and Broken Mirror or Self-Image. Strange.”

He closes the book and hands it back to the dwarf whom thinks a moment before repacking it with his other belongings.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 16
“PASSAGE”
10/25/15

LHARVION 19, 1000

They reach passage, Aundair and disembark from the rail car. They take in the sites before them again. They begin towards a few taverns to ask about Blink Dog and Jaxen Willowtrender. No one knows of Jaxen but a few know Blink Dog. He is a guide that goes into Eldeen for the right money. He typically can be found at the Black Raven on the docks.

As they walk to the dock area (based on spotting the expanse of the Galifar Lake is) they cross a Kundarak bank and a House Sivis message house. Excusing himself for a moment, the dwarf goes to send a message to the professor. Then as an after-thought, he decides to send a second message. He wants the Halfling crimelord- Thavash Boromar to know where he is and promises a large sum of money.

The Black Raven is located in a spell blasted area that has not been rebuilt since the war. There is no pattern to the destruction beyond there is not more than a few buildings per block upright. As they go, they ask occasionally a local if they know where Jaxen or Blink Dog was. One person says they will not find the Blink Dog- he will find them. Undeterred, they continue asking and move towards the docks. They eventually find the Black Raven and go inside. There are a handful of men and guides here. It is a rugged group and solemn. Typical rangers and woodsmen.

With the third customer they ask he nods to his left. Looking that way you see a black and dark brown haired shifter. He stares up and down to evaluate you and then nods and waves for them to come over.

“I understand you are looking for me. Why?” he states more than asks.

“You are Blink Dog?” asks the dwarf.

“Very. Now why come here and ask for me.”

“We are looking for someone. Someone we are made to understand you know.”

“Who?”

“Jaxen Willowtrender.”

A toothy snarl comes from the shifter. “Very popular for the kind of scum he is.”

“So you do know him.”

“You with the Claw?”

“the claw…?” worries the archer. “The Emerald Claw?”

“The same. They are looking for him also. Maybe they find him first. Maybe not.”

“Where is he?”

“Trouble.”

With a tight smile the dwarf breathes through his nose. “I understand that. Where may we find him?”

The shifter, whom has yet moved or taken a drink from his ale, stares at the dwarf.

“What do you want of him?”

“We need a few answers to some questions.”

Painful seconds go by. “Very well. Heard he was headed into Eldeen- near the mountains in the south.”

“Anywhere special?”

“Nosy dwarf. You an inquisitor or Deneith?”

“What makes you say that?” says the dwarf as brazenly as possible.

“Nothing. Winetree. Heard he was going to Winetree or at least stopping there.”

“Would you be willing to take us?” asks the archer.

“No.”

“I thought you wanted him also.” Adds the dwarf.

“Not worth the time. When in Sylbaran ask for Ferris. Mention my name…. he will at least consider it.”

“Thankyou Blink Dog.”

Kar-Draith gets up leaving a silver coin behind. Blink Dog doesn’t touch it. He merely looks at his ale and becomes lost in his own personal thoughts.

LHARVION 20, 1000 HOUSE VADALIS STABLES

“How much!” exclaims the dwarf.

“Silver a day per horse.”

The dwarf continues to stare in dismay.

“With the receipt, you may switch out for fresh horses at any of our stables.”

“Why so much again…?”

“These are Magebred beauties bred for speed and endurance. No quicker way there by land.”

“We’ll walk.”

The archer and brawler look after the leaving dwarf in confusion and dismay.

“Walk?” hisses the archer.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 17
“THE LONG WALK TO ELDEEN”
10/25/15

LHARVION 20, 1000

They are truly wondering what the dwarf was thinking by mid day. Compared to most, the walking up and down of ramps and stairs in Sharn has conditioned them better than the average traveler on foot but this is for days…. Even weeks. Outside. In the mercy of Arawai and The Traveler.

The money that could have been spent on horses was spent on tents, bed rolls, food and supplies. Damned coin pinching dwarf!

LHARVION 23, 1000
This night Hardfist is awakened (he was supposed to be on watch) by the sounds circling their campsite. Six wolves. The archer awakens and kills one with his bow. Hardfist kicks one out of the light given by the fire and never returns or yelps as it crashes into the brush. Before the dwarf can stumble out of his tent the other wolves have decided to move on.

It rains two days later. They learn campfires are harder to start with rain.

LHARVION 28, 1000
They reach the first larger settlement of their trip. They knew they were close when they saw the floating towers. Arcanix.

The floating school of magic is believed by most to be the best school of magics to exist on Khorvaire. The Twelve and a few other institutes may disagree. Though Sharn is magical, this place overthrows in magic. Everything is clean and pristine. Bards sing songs on the streets and taverns that cause a magical calm and peace.

The cheap dwarf refuses to spend any money on beds here. More camping.

BARRAKAS 2, 1000
The three walkers have a strange encounter with teleporting dogs. The animals were racing down the road baying as if chasing down a raccoon. The lizardfolk draws his bow on them and suddenly the four of them are now charging from the left.

Startled and uncertain what to make of this the dwarf holds back. Hardfist tries to kick one but misses. The archer fires rapidly. He thought both arrows had struck but one missed somehow. The animals circle them calling in a dog-like bark that has an element of higher intelligence. They seem very curious about the lizardfolk.

Having decided he is not a threat, they teleport away further down the road past them. Strange. “Was that Blink Dogs?” wonders the dwarf with uncertainty.

BARRAKAS 6, 1000
They encounter a flying danger. A manticore circles them. The dwarf activates a power of invisibility. He and the goliath disappear. Kar-Draith whom was fifteen feet away takes the full brunt of the attack as the creature fires spikes from it’s tail. The attack nearly kills him instantly. Wardrum resets his power to hide the dying lizardfolk from the flying creature above him.

BARRAKAS 13, 1000
They reach the reach settlement. XANDRAR. This is a crossroads between Breland and Eldeen Reaches. Several battles took place here and seemed to all be centered on a bridge between the countries. Now, the war is all but forgotten except for a few veterans remembering the days and a few ignored war memorials.

They spend a night at an inn here. They hate the morning almost as much as they dislike the dwarf when it is time to move on.

RHAAN 1, 1000
The last two weeks have been quiet. Except for an occasional caravan or traveler it is uneventful. However, as they reach Sylbaran a dangerous looking storm comes. They take cover within the settlement’s walls. They see a stable and a tavern. They go there first to secure rooms before others escaping the heavy rain get the rooms.

Here they ask about the guide Ferris. The Inn keeper snorts and says he is in the stables no doubt. As a centaur (a previous inn’s customer revealed) he no doubt rests there often.

He is easy to find. He is a multi-colored centaur that appears to be much older. He is aiding the Orien and Vadalis workers with calming and feeding the horses. The centaur glares harshly at the lizardfolk. “You are making the job harder.”

“Excuse us?” asks the dwarf.

“The reptilian- he is making the uneasy horses harder to calm. They can sense what he can do.”

“Sorry- we’ll be quick. Are you Ferris?”

Snorts very horse like. “Why do you ask?”

“Blink Dog from passage suggested you may be able to help us.”

“Got things to do. Places to be.”

“But he said….”

“Blink Dog and I are not friends. We are merely guides for hire. Professional courtesy. Now be quick.”

“We are looking to travel to Winetree.”

“I go that way but not to Winetree.”

“Could you take us there first?”

“The orcs have requested my aid. There are fiends lose in the forest. The remains of last years activity. There is also a huge green dragon that once protected a village but now threatens it. No. I can take you some of the way then point you the rest of the way.”

“But….”

“Enough. I don’t need your money nor do I have the time. Ask the locals. They can point out the road to take. Follow the edge of the mountains.”

“You won’t help us then?!?” squirms the bewildered dwarf.

“You annoy me. Of these horses are yours?”

“None- we walked.”

“So you will slow me down further. Find another guide, if you can find one willing to go near the unrest and leave me alone.”

Disillusioned, the three walk out. “Now what?” asks the goliath.

Still with his head down, Wardrum answers- “We walk”

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 18
“TO WINE TREE”
10/25/15

RHAAN 2, 1000 SYLBARAN, ELDEEN REACHES

They restock whatever supplies they can and begin to ask questions. They are given directions to the road that leads to Wine Tree. At first, the road is well kept as any Orien trade road is. Then as they go deeper into the Eldeen Reaches the road becomes muddy and uneven.

The grasslands give in to trees. The trees give in thick forest. Some there is rarely a point of greater than twilight conditions in the constant shadows of the thickening trees.

RHAAN 4, 1000
Kar-Draith spots large birds circling over head. As they enter a clearing made by a forest fire they see these birds are humanoid. Immediately the dwarf calls up his Invisibility Circle as the Harpies fly slowly over head. Soon they move on.

RHAAN 5, 1000
Similar trick as a stomping grumpy Hill Giant treads near them and crosses the road unaware they are there. Hardfist really, really wanted to test his brawling skill on such a big “man”. Wardrum makes it clear now is not the time.

RHAAN 7, 1000
Late afternoon, Kar-Draith hears pipes from nearby. Wary of this, the dwarf is about to turn on his invisibility again when a Satyr skips and plays his pipes for them. “Hello Hello. How are we my fine travelers.” He sings between notes on his pipes. The goliath listens carefully. The lizardfolk sways and nods to the tune. “Tired” he says.

Sensing a charm at work, the dwarf does what he can to drive the fey creature away. The goliath sways with the lizardfolk ranger. He is not certain if it is because of a charm or his feeble mind mimicking his friend. “We are merely passing through. I don’t want to be rude but we must be going. Thank you.”

“Going so fast?”

The dwarf and satyr keep up this word game until the fey creature decides it is either bored or they do not have what it wants.

RHAAN 10, 1000
“How much further?” whines the goliath.

“500 ft less than when you last asked.” Grumbles the dwarf.

“Oh.”

It has been like this for the past two days. The long walk is wearing down their minds and tolerance of each other. After all, what would the three of them have in common beyond Sharn- which in itself is debatable.

This long exercise has allowed them to understand each others motions and intensions more. Invisibility doesn’t scare the goliath anymore. He still doesn’t always understand illusions but he is getting better.

As they continue along the ranger spots a movement of bright blue in the brush. He makes a slight sound that the dwarf understands as a warning. “What and where?” he whispers.

“To the left… in the brush. Something blue in color.”

“Oh! Oh! I see them!” calls out the brawler pointing at them. As said, there is still work to be done with the goliath and subtlety.

Two small but bright blue creatures rush out at them. The dwarf summons up an image of an owlbear complete with sound and smell. It charges forward from behind them. Maybe this is why the goliath misread them as being real. Even as the creatures (Akatas) attack, the brawler goes to tackle the owl bear from behind. He somehow misses as he tumbles in the grass ahead of it. The creatures are not fooled and move forward to attack.

The ranger kills one leaving the one on the dwarf. Amazingly, the goliath goes to tackle the owl bear again and this time lands on top of the surprised creature even as the dwarf stabs it doing some damage. The ranger is afraid to attack so he waits this out knowing how long it will last once the goliath understands the real threat.

The creature dies instantly as two club like hands punch it into the ground. He looks behind himself for the owlbear whom breaks up and disappears.

“Sorry”

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 19
“WINE TREE”
10/25/15

RHAAN 14, 1000 WINE TREE, ELDEEN REACHES

“Small place.” Comments the dwarf looking down the entirety of Winetree. He spots about 7-8 buildings or by better description- structures.

They walk past a cabin and a small trade house. There is a small building marked with a sign of House Jorasco. Next to that is a stable marked with House Orien. The largest building is a tavern named after the town- The Wine Tree. The biggest surprise is the small Silver Flame temple.

“Let’s try the tavern. Get beds, food and maybe learn something.” Says the dwarf as he heads to the entrance.

The goliath spots a small wood shelter with many claw marks and diggings around it. “What is that?” he asks the ranger.

“Dog House.”

“I like dogs. This is a good place.” Says the goliath with a smile.

Inside they find a small tavern with two tables and a small bar. A hallway leads down the right side with several other doors. The guest living area they figure. Behind the bar is another closed door. They guess it leads to the living quarters and storeroom of the tavern.

The door opens and an elderly old human man dressed in red robes with gold and brown trim steps out. “Welcome to Wine Tree. How may I help you?”

“We would like rooms and some food would be nice.” Answers the dwarf with more respect than he normally would give. This care keeper has an aura about him. The dwarf finds him worthy of respect.
Looking to them he smiles. “I have tribex stew and for you young man, I have uncooked tribex in the back.”

Kar-Draith nearly drools… if he could drool. Hardfist’s stomach growls loudly- masking the dwarf’s own stomach growls. “I take that as an approval.”

They sit down as the man goes to the back to prepare food. He comes out with a cask of ale and a bottle of wine. He carefully feels the weight of each and offers them to the travelers to begin. “Don’t worry, I keep the costs down. Enjoy. We failed to complete our greetings. I am Sir John.”

Each of the three give their name and begin to drink. Sir John excuses himself but soon returns with a large bloody-rare steak, no vegetables. As he goes back to check on the stew the lizardfolk starts into his steak. “Good spices…” The other two are trapped between revulsion and envy. They are hungry. Out comes bread but the dwarf isn’t big on it. He ate bread for the first half of their journey. Crumbs and berries for the second half.

Sir John comes out with a large bowl that has to be handled with two hands and gives it to the goliath. He returns with two large bowls for himself and the dwarf.

“Kar-Draith…. Are you of the Shadow Marches or Q’Barra?” asks the old man.

“Q’barra.”

“Wonderful. I remember my first visit to that amazing land. It was back in 892… or was it 894…. It has been a long time.” He finishes his bowl and pulls out a pipe. “We were there as adventurers… The Red Banners I believe….. Ah… I wonder what became of them.”

The three of them sense a long winded history to be told but with good food in their stomachs they don’t mind much. “Are you from Ka’rhashan?”

Not wanting to answer possible sensitive questions, the ranger changes the subject. “Do you get many travelers here?”

“No. Wine Tree is very distant from the rest of the world. Even from Eldeen itself.”

“Why be here then?” asks the dwarf.

“I like the place. It has a special quality to it. Nothing like it, not even the far East has anything like it.”

“So if anyone passed through here you would know it.” Suggests the dwarf.

“Quite so.”

“Has a man been here- a Jaxen Willowtrender?”

“Perhaps. A few weeks ago a man did come through. He didn’t stay. He was in a hurry. He was under the thought that a underground ruin was nearby. There are a few but nothing worth exploring.”

“Oh- where?” asks the dwarf sensing they are getting close now.

“Then there was those dreadful men. They came a day after. They were looking for the same ruins. They wanted rooms but I am too small of an establishment. I couldn’t possibly house the entire lot of them. They were so unruly and rude it may have been just as well.” He blows out several smoke rings that seem to change colors as they rise.

“Could these men…. Be the Emerald Claw?”

“Dear I hope not but perhaps.” His thoughts drift even as his smoke clouds do.

RHAAN 15, 1000 WINE TREE, ELDEEN REACHES

For the three rooms and the huge meal with drink only costs them a gold each. The best deal of this entire trip. When they wake up, Sir John has just baked sweet rolls with a drink he calls “coffee”. The lizardfolk and goliath each take a roll. The dwarf slides the tray’s contents into his bag. When Sir John turns around with a second tray he seems confused for a moment but looks at the goliath whom is finishing his roll. “Ahem…. Yes. Well alright then.”

This time, the goliath grabs several rolls before the dwarf takes them.

Before leaving they go to the trade store to pick up a few supplies. Money is getting low. An elf runs this store- The Trap & Tackle. His name is Fabian Dearrean. As they pick up fresh water and trail rations they discuss local events. Fabian agrees that a lone man came through followed by a large group of men- fifteen plus. They wore coats and cloaks over green and silver armor.

Fabian, when asked, agrees they were searching for a ruin. The ruin was believed to be near a lake or large pond along the cliffs. This reminded the elf of a similar place about a day or two away. “Just follow the road until it veers away from the cliffs. Stay by the cliffs. You should see it easily enough. Just be careful, Eldeen is a dangerous place at times.”

Confirming their original concerns, the three of them head out.

THE MORGRAVE ADVENTURES
SEGMENT 20
“THREE BECOMES TWO”
11/28/15

RHAAN 17, 1000 ELDEEN POND, ELDEEN REACHES

After walking for two days they arrive at the area…. They guess

What they see is a decent sized pond of water set up against a rock Cliffside. There are trees and brush along the pond and a small island near the cliff’s edge.

They spot a trail on the far left side and decide to follow it. They sneak as best as they can and can see a doorway built into the rock wall.

Being over eager to get inside and locate Jaxen Willowtrender, they miss the slightly twitching vines hanging from a huge tree near the entrance. As Ronin begins to look at the door for traps the vines on the tree suddenly strike out at the dwarf. The three vines strike him and wrap around his flailing arms and head. Up he goes.

The archer cannot fathom what is happening. The brawler kicks at the tree and merely shakes it hard causing a strained gurgle to escape from the dwarf. The dwarf tries several times to free himself but the strong bark and limbs of the tree keep him grappled and strangled. The goliath leaps up into the tree and tries to break limbs to save the dwarf.

Before he can the dwarf jerks a few times then hangs there very very still.

In a fit of rage, the brawler cracks the tree down the center and the lifeless body is caste into the water. The lizardfolk ranger rushes into the water to save him. Too late.

Ronin is dead.

They retreat from the fallen tree and door entrance. They remove a hand full of items from the body and give the dwarf a burial on the edge of the woods.

It is a long walk back to Winetree.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases