• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Morrus - How about enabling 'quick post'?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Psionicist said:
That little hack consumes about 0 resources. It is just a form with a small piece of formatting code, that will transforum you to the "post page", where the info are saved into the database.

so instead of quering the page again to bring up another page and increase server load, this would take into account said query and load it at the bottom of the page reducing overhead?

I guess this would reduce the page querying by 1 thereby reducing server paging.

Is this an accurate account?

Does this mean that every time we hit "Reply," but decide not to post after all, we're consuming server time?

If so, I sincerely apologize to Morrus. Many's the time I've hit reply, tried a dozen times to frame a response, and finally given up because I decided my reply wasn't worth the read.

So I'm ashamed to admit, I've been moderating myself. :(

:cool:

Psionicist

Explorer
When you hit the normal reply button, you generate say 5 times as many queries as the number of posts in the thread, as the software have to collect the post (duh!), account information (username), post information (as dates to sort the page by date) and so on.

When you hit the post reply page, the information in the forms you have written, as well as some information you cannot see (php session ID, date and so on) are transfered to one specific page (postreply.php i think). This generates maybe 15 queries as account information, date posted, thread information as smilies and such.

This means, simply put, that the "new reply" page consumes way more resources than a simple form on the bottom of the page, which consumes zero resources. The quick post thingy is just a form. The "post reply" page is a whole page with DB queries...

You don't have to be a genius to guess how many DB queries you save if at leastt 25% of all posts are posted with the "quick reply" instead of the standard...

Last edited:

LeeCHeSSS

First Post
Because their official forum is to represent the actual software they're selling. If you look at the forums each individual vBulletin developer has, you'll see that THOSE boards are a huge collection of hacks :)

And saying "zero resources" is a lie. Ofcourse it uses resources (the webserver has to send a few lines of code extra), but the amount is neglectable.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
LeeCHeSSS said:
Because their official forum is to represent the actual software they're selling. If you look at the forums each individual vBulletin developer has, you'll see that THOSE boards are a huge collection of hacks :)
Are the more useful hacks usually included in the next version of the software?

Psionicist

Explorer
pennywiz said:

Why don't the Vb people use it then?

Here's is a red ball. Play with it. Why? Because they don't have too with their stable servers, what else? And the fact that it might confuse people when they buy vbulletin and notice that there are no quick reply feature.

You have proven in this thread that you don't know what you are talking about, and just try to annoy people with your useless posts. I don't know who you are, but I don't like you. We are trying to solve a problem here and if you can't participate in the discussion you can get the hell out of here like if I giva a rats ass about it.

The quick reply box is just a textbox and two buttons (as default). We need a more powerful tool to post threads sometimes, to add attachments and such. Talking of which, may I suggest some random admin to disable attachments?

Last edited:

LeeCHeSSS

First Post
Darkness said:
Are the more useful hacks usually included in the next version of the software?

Hacks aren't added in bug-fix releases (1.*.* and 2.*.*), but with version 3 coming up, the developers are indeed hinting that many hacks will become default.

pennywiz

First Post
Psionicist said:

Here's is a red ball. Play with it. Why? Because they don't have too with their stable servers, what else? And the fact that it might confuse people when they buy vbulletin and notice that there are no quick reply feature.

You have proven in this thread that you don't know what you are talking about, and just try to annoy people with your useless posts. I don't know who you are, but I don't like you. We are trying to solve a problem here and if you can't participate in the discussion you can get the hell out of here like if I giva a rats ass about it.

The quick reply box is just a textbox and two buttons (as default). We need a more powerful tool to post threads sometimes, to add attachments and such. Talking of which, may I suggest some random admin to disable attachments?

Asking a simple question is not rude. You are being rude.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Psionicist:

Rude. Very rude. Unacceptably rude.

If you cannot treat your fellow board members with respect, you should not respond. This is not a "tech-head only" forum. Nor is it your personal playground, where you get to abuse people whom you do not like.

Pennywiz asked a legitimate question. You yourself fail to add to the discussion with rude and insulting behavior. You also do no good to your own credibility by acting in a childish and elitist manner.

The proper response to ignorance is education. If you cannot provide it please be quiet and let someone who has the appropriate temperament provide enlightenment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads