Morrus - how much RAM?

der_kluge

Adventurer
This afternoon, the site bogged down pretty good, and started returning quite a few errors. Some of those were "erealloc" errors. I'm not familiar with "erealloc" but "malloc" and "realloc" (short for reallocate) are C functions which handle memory assignment.

What I'm driving at is that if "realloc" were to fail in C, there's only 1 reason for it - not enough RAM.

How much RAM does your server have, Morrus?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Hmm, I would suggest upgrading to 512 mb if at all possible. Memory is cheap right now. At peak times, with 80+ users on at a time, I just don't think 300mb would cut it. Most UNIX systems (Granted, the architecture is different) have 1 gig of RAM - at a minumum.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
:eek:

Only 300-something mb?

I have 256 mb on my home PC and I'm thinking of doubling it. Man, I didn't realize that the boards could run on so few mbs...

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think it largely depends on the Motherboard. But, most Motherboards today should allow at least 1,024 megabytes - 4 256 Meg chips.

omedon

First Post
Wow only that much? 512 MB costs around $100 CDN which I think converts to something like $0.75 US. That stuff is cheap.

Especially when compared to gaming books.

I would probably pick up a Gigabyte if your computer supports it, 512 minimum.

Maybe you could ask that people open up there wallets to for the Buy Morrus More RAM fund.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Morrus said:
300-and-something Mb, I think. Not sure.
Whoa.

Morrus, was that really you that said that?

You're NOT SURE?

That doesn't really make me feel like you have the best hold on these boards as i'd previously assumed. (not like you care, but that's quite a telling quote)

Most people I teach in the industry have a minimum of 512 MB of RAM if they even have a few people connecting to it.
In our classrooms, the server can bog even with only 10 people connecting to the Win 2K servers (256 MB).

I'd recommend an update to a GB of RAM.
Anything less and it wouldn't seem to me that performance is much of an issue with you. (again, not like you care my professional opinion...)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Reapersaurus, are you laboring under the impression that Morrus should have memorized the details of the server this site runs on? You don't need to answer - that's a facetious question - but I'm pretty sure that you could have said "I recommend you get more RAM, based on my experience, which is..." The manner in which you phrased it can't be taken to be anything but insulting.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Reapersaurus, are you laboring under the impression that Morrus should have memorized the details of the server this site runs on?
well, actually... Yes.
The amount of RAM a server has is one of the, if not the MOST, important things about a server.

And it's ironic you phrased what i should have said that way, because that's almost verbatim of what i did say in the other thread. :)

Based on the amount of work and effort and as i understand personal moneys that Morrus has put into maintinaing this web site and helping it thrive, i was, and am, quite shocked that Morrus would not know that amount of RAM that the ENWorld server is running.

ESPecially considering all the occurances of errors when lots of people are on the site.
I believe the errors were even telling Morrus that there wasn't enough RAM, right?

It is a well-understood and documented fact of networking that Win2K NEEDS lots of RAM to function well.
RAM is cheap.

therefore, I'll say it in this thread:
It is my personal and professional opinion that Morrus should plop a 256 MB stick of RAM in the ENBoards server.
They are less than $60 here: http://www.pricewatch.com

Remove ads