MORTAL KOMBAT D&D 5E

Woot a question! In the final write-up for the setting the number of different stances a character can use at one time is more limited (a single stance except for martial artists which can ultimately use up to four at a time by 17th level), but one stance feat taken two or three times still only qualifies as one stance (so having Stance of Broken Stone three times doesn't provide +3 to AC while unarmored, just +1 to AC). Essentially you've got one stances slot and multiple copies fit into that slot just fine, it's only a problem if you know more than one martial arts stance.

now you have me intrigued... I had thought about having the prof bonus but rounding up so you could have 1 2 or 3, because I was a little worried having 2 or 3 might be pretty strong when a lot of them are adding d4/d6/d8 damage to unarmed strikes. I like this idea especially since there is not a lot of feats to take.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
now you have me intrigued... I had thought about having the prof bonus but rounding up so you could have 1 2 or 3, because I was a little worried having 2 or 3 might be pretty strong when a lot of them are adding d4/d6/d8 damage to unarmed strikes. I like this idea especially since there is not a lot of feats to take.

Martial artists get the best out of the deal--max 2 complete stances plus up to 2 extra feats probably also on stances (that's capping out at average 9-12 probably at least half-energy type extra damage on unarmed strikes) but the trees are satisfying for non-monks too. It doesn't make for *weak* characters, but a little extra damage (usually 2-4 average) hasn't seemed to break anything (none are more impactful than Heavy Weapon Master I think it is, or Marksman--the two -5/+10 dam feats), and the diversity added with them is fun for everybody. I've used these to put together the cast for two different fighting video game franchises and only had to make *one* extra stance to cover the sillier fighters (*looking at Dan from Street Fighter*) so at least in Mists of Akuma​, there's some love for the monks. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases