D&D General Most D&D Fiction That Isn't D&D Fiction

Voadam

Legend
The Sword of Shanara by Terry Brooks and other early books in the Shanara series are very Tolkien/D&D with a group of well armed D&D demihuman types journeying around dangerous places and includes a high level magical druid adventuring patron without shapeshifting but a whole secret society thing.

The Belgariad series of novels by David Eddings was a young protagonist with huge magical potential joins a high level D&D group including a master thief, a werebear fighter, a cavalier/knight, ridiculously high level mages, etc.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The Ethshar books by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Magic is a respectable profession, like being a carter or mason. Mages takes apprentices who only know a handful of very low-power spells to start out with. There are a dozen or more different magic systems.

I'll second these. I have adapted stuff both from "The Misenchanted Sword" and "With a Single Spell" for past campaigns.

Stormonu

Legend
Was there a novel or just the movie? Conan the Destroyer would be another movie where you have the mixed D&D party on a quest.
Just the movie, as far as I am aware.

The Deathstalker series would probably count as well.

[Edit] I'm shocked the Shanara series isn't in Appendix N

I should also count Fred Saberhagen's Book of Sword series. While his name is mentioned, those books came out after the first AD&D books were published.

Last edited:

“Another Day, Another Dungeon” and “One Quest, Hold the Dragons” by Greg Costikyan are fantastic examples of a goofball party. Not surprising, given the author’s pedigree in RPG design.

Reynard

Legend
I feel like there is a differenc ebetween the books that are clearly inspired by D&D, and those that are overtly like "Hey, this book is about D&D!" The latter seem much more common these days, especially with the rise of not only the wide popularity of D&D but also the popularity of LitRPG.
The books I keep meaning tow rite is more of a "KODT" novel -- about the people that play D&D, and the drama that ensues that way.

Remove ads