D&D General Most memorable mounts from your campaigns?

Shiroiken

Legend
Most memorable mount moment for me happened at a convention back in AD&D. Our pregen characters had mounts to take us up into the mountains to the dungeon of whatever. When we got there, this dude pulls out his 2 handed sword and cuts his horse's head off. Everyone was stunned. I asked him why he did that, and he responded that the mount did his job well getting him to the dungeon. Rather than leaving him to a horrible death, he wanted to kill the horse humanely. After a slight mental readjustment, and the thief clearly instructing the cleric to heal him from dying if necessary, we entered the dungeon. After we completed what we were supposed to do, we came out to find a troll had slaughtered all of our horses and was in the process of eating them. Needless to say, the player wouldn't stop smiling during the fight with the troll...

I'm enjoying the non-horse mounts my players have in Rise of Tiamat. Our gnome bard has the mastiff King Charles III (the first two met grisly ends, so what's memorable about him isn't so much he himself as his lineage, as it were), and the goblin ranger has the giant wolf spider named Twitchy, who has been the source of much amusement (although not nearly as much as his master).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can only think of personally playing one memorable mount- a giant space hamster named Mithril, the fierce, trained battle steed of The Gnome Ranger. Best moment: carrying a downed ally from the battlefield in his cheek pouches.

In a campaign I ran, the Paladin’s steed was a Buffalo (American bison). It wasn’t particularly special, but the player REALLY embraced mounted (non-lancer) tactics. What a terror!

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I was playing in a 5e game, and we were in a deep imaskari fort... A player asked the DM what they used for mounts, and the DM wasn't sure. The player suggested Bullettes, and the DM liked the idea. Later we came to a stable with Bullettes... That same player tries to tame one... Rolls a Natural 20... and had a tame Bullette named Betsy for the rest of the campaign!

Stormonu

Legend
My (dragonborn paladin) mount is a deinonychus named Diana. She's modeled after Fang from Primal. Her favorite pasttime is swallowing enemies in one gulp. Purrs like a kitten.

Back in 2E, the paladin (Mordor) had a bronze dragon named Tailwind. Wouldn't do a damn thing without payment in gems (but he could detect their presence, so he'd be willing to fly to locations that contained them, in return for getting them for himself), and never risked flying where it was possible his wings could get injured (which generally meant no flying over enemies).

Also, back in B/E D&D, one of the fighters went on a quest to get a giant chicken as a mount. He loved that thing to death, and would often take it to jousting tournaments.

Remove ads