Most memorable use of Karma/Bennies?

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
What's your most memorable use of Karma/Bennies in a game?

(Karama is the Suzerain translation of Bennies, I knew it as that first is all)

For me, it was the first time, failing a roll to grapple the mini-boss while the ice we were standing on cracked beneath us. I use my Karma and won the fight and finished him off. Roleplay wise it played off that he'd pinned me on the cracking ice, I then use the momentum and the ice to slide underneath him, wiping out his ankles before jumping up grabbing him midair and slamming him into the ice throwing me clear of the danger and him smashing through the surface and into the deep freezing waters where he, supposedly, died.

//Karama/Bennies explained for those who don't play Suzerain/SWADE

Players start each game session with three “Bennies” (American slang for “benefits”), represented by poker chips, gaming stones, the official Bennies we make for all of our games, or other tokens that signify a little bit of good luck or fate. Bennies are discarded at the end of each session — use them or lose them! They can be used to reroll a trait, recover from shaken, soak rolls, draw a new action card, reroll damage, regain power points (Pulse in Suzerain) and influence the story (i.e. find an extra clue if you're stuck).

Players start each game session with three “Bennies” (American slang for “benefits”), represented by poker chips, gaming stones, the official Bennies we make for all of our games, or other tokens that signify a little bit of good luck or fate. Bennies are discarded at the end of each session — use them or lose them! They can be used to reroll a trait, recover from shaken, soak rolls, draw a new action card, reroll damage, regain power points (Pulse in Suzerain) and influence the story (i.e. find an extra clue if you're stuck).

As an American, I have never heard another American use the term "bennies" as slang for benefits. I have, however, heard it used as a slang term for benzedrine. What you are talking about I would typically refer to as Hero points or Fate points. I've mainly only used it in Star Wars games where it would be a Force point.

To answer the question, one time I had a low level group in a dungeon with rising water. The group, through their own inaction, were nearly trapped and at risk of drowning. One player wanted to try and make a dangerously long swim underwater to escape. When he used a hero point (for swimming), I chose to instead point to a nearby wall on the map and say "That looks like a weak spot". He changed tactics and smashed through the wall, which opened up the rest of the dungeon. That hero point was probably the difference between a TPK 20 minutes into the game and a full night of dungeon delving.

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
As an American, I have never heard another American use the term "bennies" as slang for benefits. I have, however, heard it used as a slang term for benzedrine. What you are talking about I would typically refer to as Hero points or Fate points. I've mainly only used it in Star Wars games where it would be a Force point.

To answer the question, one time I had a low level group in a dungeon with rising water. The group, through their own inaction, were nearly trapped and at risk of drowning. One player wanted to try and make a dangerously long swim underwater to escape. When he used a hero point (for swimming), I chose to instead point to a nearby wall on the map and say "That looks like a weak spot". He changed tactics and smashed through the wall, which opened up the rest of the dungeon. That hero point was probably the difference between a TPK 20 minutes into the game and a full night of dungeon delving.

That's taken from the SWADE rulebook! I'm from the UK so I didn't know.

Nice though, such a small thing makes such a big difference

Remove ads