Votes: 3 1.7%
  • The Half-Orcs

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • The Halflings

Votes: 15 8.5%

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Super-Vision

It seems to me that low-light vision isn't really that powerful. Sure, you can see twice as far under certain lighting conditions (less than full light, but not completely dark), but the ability rarely seems to come into play. Most encounters are at fairly close range. My experience could be abnormal, I suppose.

On the other hand, darkvision is great - as long as everyone in the party has it. But if even a single party member lacks darkvision, then out comes the trusty torch, and darkvision becomes near-useless. Sure, you can still see farther than the other party members (60 ft. versus 20 ft.), but again it doesn't usually matter.

Yet another reason why humans are superior - all the other races seem better (more better?) than they actually are.

... And darkvision is one of the half-orc's only perks. Poor guy.

William Ronald

Explorer
I voted human because of the versatility of an extra feat, and extra skill points. Also, as I am something of a history, linguistics, and mythology buff, I enjoy playing humans with well defined cultures. (This is a campaign theme.)

However, I think the best answer is not who is the most powerful but who is the best played. A skilled player can take a relatively weak character and make him quite effective.

I am not surprised at the popularity of dwarves because of their constitution bonuses. There is something of a mindset that strength and constitution are the most important abilities. (In the real world, it seems that intelligence wins out.)

MythandLore

First Post
After a total of 150 votes.
The Humans are still holding the leed with 37%!
The Dwarves are coming in a tuff Second at 26%!

Finally the poor-sad dirty bastard blooded ugly-losers the Half-Elves have slipped below their larger cousins the Half-Orcs at a little more then 1%!

Superman

First Post

Attachments

• Welcome_-_Ellis_Goodson.jpg
    Welcome_-_Ellis_Goodson.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 488

MythandLore

First Post
Hey now you two, play nice.

If any mod-or-admin wants to close this now -feel free-
I don't think we are going to get many more votes.

I think we all know now, HUMANS ARE THE BEST-est.

Last edited:

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Actually

I still maintain that the Dwarves are better than the Humans. Like I said in my first post on this thread, I expected the Humans to win. The Humans are more popular because of the customization available to the race, making them very appealing to powergamers and roleplayers alike.

Most will not sit down and take a good look at the mechanics, and just vote for the first race to come off the top of their head, which is usually the Humans. Humans are the second best race, of course, but Dwarves are definitely superior if you really compare the two.

To the poster who said Darkvision isn't that important... I have to disagree. I understand your point of view, but if you are stumbling about a dungeon or underground, you are likely going to encounter creatures with Darkvision of their own, and the fact that they can see you from three times the distance you can see them is going to be a very serious problem. And what happens if the Torch goes out, or the enemy takes it out? You are now stumbling around blind while your enemy can see just fine.

That's why Darkvision is so valuable, and it is a great advantage to have a party member capable of it if you ever go adventuring underground or in a dungeon.

Remove ads