Votes: 3 1.7%
  • The Half-Orcs

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • The Halflings

Votes: 15 8.5%

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Terraism said:
I think that you'll find that many people recognize how inherently weak those two races are, comparatively. Though, I'm not sure why halflings are hanging in there...

It's not weakness people, see, it's a popularity contest. Players look at humans, and their train of thought goes something like:

1) Let's see what can be done to min/max this character.
2) Hey, a bonus feat! And those are...
3) Oh, right! The new shiny part of D&D!
4) Breathe in.
5) Breathe out.
6) Repeat steps 4 & 5.
7) I wanna play a human!

Kage Tenjin

First Post
Jack Daniel said:

It's not weakness people, see, it's a popularity contest. Players look at humans, and their train of thought goes something like:

1) Let's see what can be done to min/max this character.
2) Hey, a bonus feat! And those are...
3) Oh, right! The new shiny part of D&D!
4) Breathe in.
5) Breathe out.
6) Repeat steps 4 & 5.
7) I wanna play a human!

Seems about right.
Humans are a good way to not, just min-max, but get any decent concepts off the ground (no other race then 1/2 elves could have a Arstictcrat1/Fighter4 without a penalty)

omedon

First Post
I'm not sure what race I will vote for yet, but I am sure it will not be humans. I agree that they are a very appealing race when you are starting out. That bonus feat makes a big difference at the start of the game as do the skill points. However as the game progresses and the character begin to approach 12th level these racial traits begin to dwindle in power. At 12th level every character has gained at least 5 feats. And in the case of 12th level fighters all races have 12 feats. That 1 bonus feat that a Human fighter has that gives her 13 total feats compared to his demihuman counterparts 12 isn't going to make much of a difference at this point in the game. Innate abilities such as: darkvision, saving throw bonuses, ability bonuses, stone cunning, giant fighting bonses, and so on are the things that are going to be of more benifit at higher levels.

In sum; humans are powerhouses at the start of a campaign but begin to be outshined towards the end by the other races.

Kytess

First Post
Talaysen said:
Kytess, in the passage you snipped, I *specifically* state that ECLs have already been factored in. Under my system, level adjustments remove points - that way you can tell at a glance if said adjustments actually balance things out.

Without their ECLs, the advanced races would break down as follows:

SVIRFNEBLIN - 33 points
DUERGAR - 28 points
DROW - 27 points
AASIMAR - 16 points
TIEFLING - 16 points

And yes, humans are less inherently powerful than half-elves. Consider: humans get a bonus feat (once, at first level), some extra skill points, any favored class, and they have access to any and all bonus languages save those tongues that are deliberately kept secret (such as the Druidic language). Half-elves don't get the feat or the skill points, but they do get elven immunity to sleep spells and effects, resistance to Enchantment spells and effects (+2 to saves), low-light vision, bonuses to Listen, Search and Spot, and - oh yeah - they can use magic items typically available only to elves.

And as I said before, they have NO penalties to balance this out. When I crunched the numbers, half-elves were in fact on the high end of the ideal range - more powerful than humans or elves.

I misinterpreted your statement that the ECLs were factored in. Still, half-elves aren't as powerful as humans.

"they can use magic items typically available only to elves." - What items? Elf blood means 3 things:
* Half-elves can use certain _custom_ magic items
* Rangers with favored enemy (elves) get bonuses to skill checks and damage vs. half-elves
* Elf-bane weapons damage half-elves

"And as I said before, they have NO penalties to balance this out." - What disadvantages do humans have?

Humans have an extra feat, which is useful for jump-starting a character, and (level + 3) bonus skill points, which is useful for higher-level characters. A good example of a class which benefits from this is paladin: many class skills to take, few skill points (2 base skill points, and Int isn't high on a paladin's stat list), and no bonus feats (despite having a great need for them).

The half-elven skill bonuses are almost laughable; wasting the human bonus feat on Alertness gives better results. For those not maxing out these skills, using jsut a few of the human bonus skill points works even better (so the feat can be used for something better).

Really, the only major ability of half-elves is their low-light vision. Even this, though, is minor in comparison to the human bonuses.

Elf blood is a minor negative for half-elves, but really too petty to be considered. Their favored class is the same as humans'; their language selection is also identical.

Sleep immunity will help half-elves survive for their first two levels (the only time I expect they'll see it), but it's nothing compared to the benefit of the first few levels with an extra feat - on levels 1-5, humans are noticeibly stronger as a result.

The better comparison might be to elves, though.

Half-elves have an advantage in language selection and favored class; elves have an advantage in skill bonuses. These might be balanced against each other, but the elven weapon proficiencies put elves far ahead.

Elves have +2 Dex/-2 Con, usually considered an incredible benefit. Personally, I don't think that this is as good as it's made out to be, but it's certainly better than +0 Dex/-0 Con (unless you roll ability scores in order, in which case it could be very good or very bad). On top of this, they can auto-detect secret doors - a useful, if limited, ability.

Even if you don't agree with me, you can tell from this poll how few people think half-elves are powerful - at last count they were in _last_ place, behind the "-2 net ability" half-orcs.

Kytess

First Post
omedon said:
In sum; humans are powerhouses at the start of a campaign but begin to be outshined towards the end by the other races.

I disagree. Most people, it's true, choose humans because of their bonus feat. This does become less significant over time, though it's nothing to scoff at - feat chains make this very important for paladins and rogues. At higher levels, though, ther other main benefit of huamns kicks in - skill points. Though they start with only 4, it grows with level. This is helpful for the skill-based rogues, but near-essential for the skill-strapped paladin (and sometimes barbarian, when they have low Int).

In short, the feat is great for short-term, but the skills are long-term. Humans are the dominant race in 3E!

Talaysen

First Post
Hmmm, ok, good points. I'll go back in and adjust some of the points costs.

Humans do have a "penalty" in the form of reduced language proficiency - they start with only one automatic language, where most races start with at least two. Again, that's not worth much, but it takes a point or two off. That's balanced out by other things, of course, but humans would cost more if they too started with two automatic languages.

Further, as others have pointed out, most people here aren't going for the most inherently powerful PC race - they're going for the most versatile. Humans are easily customized; other races aren't. And I think there's something of a feeling to the effect that if you're going to play something with elven blood, it may as well be an ELF, darnit! That too may be holding half-elves back.

As I said, those were the results when I crunched the numbers. Said numbers may need a bit of tweaking, but I suspect half-elves may still be slightly more inherently powerful than humans in the end.

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Aftrer a total of 1000 viewings.
The Humans are still holding as tops with 36%!
The Dwarves are coming in Strong Second at 26%!

Finally the poor-sad dirty bastard blooded losers the Half-Elves have slipped below their Buffer cousins the Half-Orcs at a little more then 1%!

EOL

First Post
Half-elves less powerful than humans

I will have opine on the human side of the argument over whether humans or half-elves are more powerful. The +1 skill point bonus per level easily outstrips all the half elf abilities and that doesn't even count the extra feat. Low-Light is really only useful if no one in the party has dark-vision.

Arachne

First Post
I picked human. They are really hard to turn from in the character making process UNLES your int starts at a -3.......than its easy to look elsewhere.....in which case...I PICK DROW! But....it wasnt on the poll...*sigh*

Any good spider KNOWS you have to pick Drow...

Arachne
Just a good little spider

Remove ads