Mount items - can a mount wear more than one?

Can a mount wear more than one Mount item?

For example, can a mount wear both horseshoes of speed and impenetrable barding?

I realize this is an easily answered question... if I could find my Adventurer's Vault! I think I loaned it to a "friend".

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I don't have AV with me either but familiars are treated as having a single item slot, which can be used only to equip familiar items. I think there is a similar rule for mounts and beast companions.

twilsemail

First Post
AV lists Mount items as "Mount Slot Items."

The PHB has the following to say about slotted items:
PHB p. 224 said:
[...]any other item you put in the same item slot doesn’t function for you until you take off the first item.

Reading that, I'd say the mount can only benefit from the first item you give them.

OhGodtheRats

First Post
Ok, just to throw a monkey-wrench in here, what about Beast Companions that are Also Mounts or Mounts that are Also Familiars? From a few Dragons back, we got the Beast Ranger who rides his Horse Companion (as well as 1 of the Martial Powers)...and ages before that we got the Ritual that lets you enlarge your Familiar as well as give it the Mount keyword. (I think the Rules dictate easily the Mount/Companion clash, but the Familiar/Mount class? Not so sure)
Could you double stuff these items (Familiar Item Slot, Mount Item Slot, etc) if your Steed was a little weird/split in their identity?
-Jared
"My DM said No for the sake of Sanity (Which I agree with), but I figured since someone brought the topic up, I'd throw the madness out there."

PS: While it's a tangent, I like the arguments concerning the Essential Paladin's Mount Summoning & whether it's the "same" mount every time. The point being if it is, you can equip the thing like you would a normal mount. Which it isn't. But is. Kinda. But Not. Still, fun thought experiment.

twilsemail

First Post
Beast companions have only one slot. Mount slot items are considered the same as companion-slot for this purpose.

What he said. It's in the same sidebar that fba mentioned. AV p122.

Edit: I don't recall a "Familiar Slot" item, but AV states that the Companion Slot is supposed to cover Beast companions for Rangers and the comanions in future material. That should cover Familiars, methinks.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases