• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movement / Combat in a swamp

Infinite Monkey

First Post
In my new campaign, which is starting soon, the players will be spending a lot of time in swamps. I was hoping that someone could post / point me to a summary of how this will affect them. e.g. how does it affect movement and armour, how does it affect combat and so on.

Henrix

Explorer
There's a short section in the DMG on water, but it's not very informative. Read what the PHB has to say on Swim and Balance.

I would recommend the article about fighting underwater in a recent Dragon, uhmm, # 291. It has some stuff on fighting and moving when both in and under water.

Basically it's half movement when wading, perhaps some Balance checks if it is slippery.
Water gives cover, half if against someone completely under the water, one quarter if the opponent is three quarters submerged, like when wading chest-deep in a swamp. (This is provided you are (mostly) above water.)

Swinging a slashing or bludgeoning weapon under water entails a -2 to hit and halves any damage.

None of the above is valid for a foe with a swim speed (in the MM) or with a Freedom of Movement spell.

el Voz

First Post
Also look into the rules/penalties of sleeping in armor. You may want to arbitraily include penalities based on time.

i.e. fortitude checks against disease (DC 5 for malaria)

The constant wetness creates small irritations. This may affect the CHA of pc/npc relations

Overtime the constant wetness may degrade equipment & may result in plenalties to hit or AC.

el Voz

First Post
I forgot. sound over water is changed. Listen checks can be +/- in a swampy envionment.

surronded by a lot of open water could increase distance, yet decrease the location detection. You may hear the noise at twice the normal distance, but can not locate the source until 1/2 the normal distance.

Sound could be muffled by a lot of plant growth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads