D&D 5E Movement in whirlpool control Water weird dash action issue

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Blue the difference between web and this spell is web requires your action to escape. This does not. It just says, ‘if you want to move’ you must succeed the check. So you could still try to move and then do an action. If you caught in the centre of the whirlpool, you have to start making saving throws to escape or take damage. That part is more like web
I went to disagree with you, cracked open my PHB to get a reference... and couldn't find what I was sure was there. So I took to the internet, and found "some ability checks take actions, some don't, there's no one-true-way" from a bunch of people, including in the SageAdvice twitter.

So you're right, and I learned something. Thanks!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
In which case, it becomes another attempt to move against the flow of the water, which requires a check. This is what prompted the discussion
No, as others have pointed out above, the character's movement is not what triggers the Strength check. A successful Strength check allows them to move away from the whirlpool. If they fail the Strength check, they could still use their CA to Dash. They cannot move away from the whirlpool, but they could move around the whirlpool, possibly to move closer to another party member in the water, or to some terrain that might help get them out next round. They could also use their CA to Dodge, or they could use their Bonus Action to make an attack with a second weapon (if they are armed with such).

No, as others have pointed out above, the character's movement is not what triggers the Strength check. A successful Strength check allows them to move away from the whirlpool. If they fail the Strength check, they could still use their CA to Dash. They cannot move away from the whirlpool, but they could move around the whirlpool, possibly to move closer to another party member in the water, or to some terrain that might help get them out next round.

oh, good point.

Remove ads