Moving to NJ - Looking for New Group

DataSifter

First Post
I am moving to Morris County, NJ as part of a corporate relocation and looking for a new group to join. I'm preferably looking for a group with some degree of similarity: married w/ kids, mid-30s, etc. I'm flexible on the game system, but looking for a great storyteller running the game.

If you have any suggestions please email me at:
datasifter@gmail.com

Cinerarium

First Post
Hi Datasifter --

Whereabouts in Morris County? Closer to I-80 or I-78? I live in Hunterdon and work in Somerset. I'm not in a game currently but would be interested in starting one depending on your schedule and whether we can find other folks. I'm in the same boat as you -- 30's, married, two kids, demanding job. Weeknight games are better for me than weekends because of the kids.

I also know of a group that plays up near Lake Hopatcong in Sussex County which might be closer for you depending on how far north you are. Let me know either way.

-- Steve

Talembar

First Post
Hi,

We've been looking to add another player to our Monday night Bergen County game...if that's not too far foryou to travel...let me know.

~Jace

Ironblue

First Post
Hi everybody,

For your general knowledge, there's a games store right off of Route 10 in Denville, called Dark Tower Games. They regularly hold a friday night open D&D session that upwards of 15 people attend. One of the groups that attends (that I am sadly not a part of) is easily what you're looking for... a very solid group of older guys that usually only play core or earlier editions, to the best of my knowledge.

As for myself, I'm afraid I miss out on the specified demographic by a good decade or so... (I'm a ripe youngster of 17, as it is) but I'd like to think myself mature enough to work well with guys much older than me... I suppose I'm in no position to lay claim to my own virtues, but it's worth a shot. :p

Hoping this helps,
James

Cinerarium

First Post
Bumping this thread... DataSifter and I are actively recruiting for a weeknight game in the Morris/Hunterdon/Somerset county area. Think 6-10 or 7-11 for game times. We'd like to start up in late April and are talking 3.5 for now.

Both of us prefer story-driven games with grown ups that can have a good time at and away from the table. We've got kids and wives and jobs and want to make sure that the game is good enough to justify the time away from those priorities -- games that are fun and challenging with people that are fun to hang out with. The weeknight thing is so that we can get the game in without losing half a weekend day with the family. I've done it in the past and it works great if you've got kids (or heck if you don't as well -- what else are you going to do on a weeknight, play WoW?)

If this is the kind of game you think you'd be interested in, please post here or email DataSifter at his gmail account.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you,
Steve

frostrune

First Post
I'm nowhere near NJ but I can vouch for Cinerarium's homebrew game and he's a nice guy to boot. Beware though, he never could quite figure out that EL/CR thing. Plan on dying at least once.

Hope your doing well, Steve.

Frostrune

Hey all, Thought I'd drop in and say hello. I run a game on Mondays 7-11pm in Bergen county, and we are looking for a new player since a current one will be taking an extended absence .

Talembar in post#3 is a player in that game. So if data sifter( or anyone else) is willing to travel, we'd love for ya to try it out. We are all over 30 (at this time) and I know all about juggling a wife and a couple kids. The game is in my home brew of which a partial map can be seen here. , and some Npc's can be seen here . It is A historical/fantasy setting based on a Medieval England-ish world with some George RR Martin elements thrown in. We try to have a healthy mix of combat, mystery and roleplay.

As far as travel is concerned, I work in Morris county, and it only takes about 35 minutes to get home from work. So depending on where you will be coming from in Morris cty, it might not be so far.

Cinerarium

First Post
Frostrune! Great to hear from you and hope you're well! Thanks for dropping in -- I'll try to send you an email in a few days if your old address is still good. I tell ya though, you get one TPK with one vampire spiked-chain wielding monk and they never let you live it down.

Bastion, Bergen county might be a bit far for me to get home afterwards. Any chance of playing in Morris County?

Cinerarium said:
Bastion, Bergen county might be a bit far for me to get home afterwards. Any chance of playing in Morris County?

Wow High Bridge is far from us. In our existing group, most live within 2 miles of each other, and the another lives about 20 minutes north of us, so there is no chance of moving the game an hour south west of where we currently play, especially on a week night. Even from my work(Madison) its still 35miles to High Bridge.

Sorry.

I noticed Datasifter hasn't been on the site in a while, I guess he's busy moving.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm in Essex county near the Willowbrook Mall. Same situation - family, kids, limited time to play, want heavy story.

The current 3.5 game I run doesn't have an opening, but in June I'll be running a 4e mini-campaign (or adventure path I think they call it now). It'll be more linear high-action then my continuing campaign which is very RP-intensive, shades of grey sandbox style, but if you're interested I'm always up to meet new gamers. I run one game every other week, during a weeknight.

In addition to the one above, there are a couple of other gaming stores up in my area where you could look for groups. Gamer's Gambit (http://www.gamersgambitonline.com/) is in Fair Lawn (Bergen County), probably 40-50 minutes from you, but I know they have a lot of groups going, plus a good place to post up looking for a local group. The owners are both people I've gamed steadily with since the '80s.

Time Warp Comics & Games (http://www.timewarpcomics.com/) is on Route 23 about 3 miles south of where rt 23 and rt 80 cross. Good selection, helpful. They are more of a run-events instead of regular games there, but I haven't been there since my friends bought Gamer's Gambit so things might have changed some. I still recommend it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Remove ads