• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing Limitations

baconcow

First Post
I wanted to avoid taking over the other n00b topic with a question that is not of the same idea. I read in the core rules that instead of choosing to go to another level (say level 6), I could choose to go to level 1 in another class. My character would still be a level 6 character. There is only one paragraph in the core rules about this and, while I have not read through it all to see if there are other limitations, I have some questions.

1) How many different classes can you add when multiclassing? Can I be a level 8 Wizard with level 1 of each of the other available classes (assuming I am the appropriate character level)?

2) When I level up and choose another class, I remain the same level in my other class(es). However, my "character level" still advances. So, does that mean if I am character level 6 (Level 5 Wizard, Level 1 Ranger), I need the XP points of a 7th level character just to progress another level?

3) Once I am at character level 20, this is it, correct (assuming I do not homebrew my own rules for advancement beyond 20). So if I am a Wizard (preferred) and Ranger multiclass, the max level the Wizard could be is 19 (Level 19 Wizard, Level 1 Ranger)?

4) I know this may sound obvious, but I could not understand if possible from the core rules alone. Can I put further levels in the other mulitclass class(es)? For example, can I eventually be a level 20 character with a level 10 Wizard and level 10 Ranger? It only mentions that you can make a level 1 class instead of leveling up the other class, but I didn't know if they meant the other classes from before (through multiclassing previously), or just your preferred class.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

paradox42

First Post
1) How many different classes can you add when multiclassing? Can I be a level 8 Wizard with level 1 of each of the other available classes (assuming I am the appropriate character level)?
As many as you have character levels. The way it effectively works is, you have X character levels, but you spend Y levels out of X for specific classes. So if your character is 8th level, you could be Wizard 8, or Wizard 7/Ranger 1, or Wizard 6/Ranger 2, or Wizard 6/Ranger 1/Paladin 1, or... you get the idea.

2) When I level up and choose another class, I remain the same level in my other class(es). However, my "character level" still advances. So, does that mean if I am character level 6 (Level 5 Wizard, Level 1 Ranger), I need the XP points of a 7th level character just to progress another level?
Correct. XP depends on character level; the classes you "spent" those levels on don't matter at all.

3) Once I am at character level 20, this is it, correct (assuming I do not homebrew my own rules for advancement beyond 20). So if I am a Wizard (preferred) and Ranger multiclass, the max level the Wizard could be is 19 (Level 19 Wizard, Level 1 Ranger)?
The Core Rulebook actually does have rules for advancement beyond 20, but they're optional- and anyway most DMs don't let games get even that far. So, for most purposes, you are correct.

4) I know this may sound obvious, but I could not understand if possible from the core rules alone. Can I put further levels in the other mulitclass class(es)? For example, can I eventually be a level 20 character with a level 10 Wizard and level 10 Ranger? It only mentions that you can make a level 1 class instead of leveling up the other class, but I didn't know if they meant the other classes from before (through multiclassing previously), or just your preferred class.
You can be Wiz 10/Rgr 10, no problem.

Gorbacz

Banned
Banned
Also, what might be good to point out for a newbie, multiclassing mostly sucks. With some exceptions, a multiclass character will always be weaker than a straight class character. Especially if one of the multiclasses is a caster.

In other words: better make sure you know what you are doing. Multiclassing is good if you are shooting for a prestige class (eg. Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge, Battle Herald or Rage Prophet), but it can be a fatal trap too.

Kvantum

First Post
Also, what might be good to point out for a newbie, multiclassing mostly sucks. With some exceptions, a multiclass character will always be weaker than a straight class character. Especially if one of the multiclasses is a caster.

In other words: better make sure you know what you are doing. Multiclassing is good if you are shooting for a prestige class (eg. Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge, Battle Herald or Rage Prophet), but it can be a fatal trap too.
For example, the idea of the Ranger 10/Wizard 10. That results in a character that can only cast up to 5th level spells with a caster level of 10th, and a BAB of only +15, costing them their fourth attack per round. Much better (at least in terms of BAB and caster level) to go for Ranger 2/Wizard 8/Arcane Archer 10 or R2/W8/Eldritch Knight 10 if you want a multiclass ranger/mage build.

IronWolf

blank

I would agree with this. As a new player to the game I would recommend avoiding multiclassing and going with a straight character class. Multiclassing can work and end up with a good character but you usually have to go into it with a solid plan.

I would recommend choosing a character class you like and that sounds fun to play and fits your concept. Then focus on learning that class as you continue.

Gorbacz

Banned
Banned
Also, make sure to check out the class archetypes from Advanced Player's Guide. Many of them cover areas which people used to multiclass for.

paradox42

First Post
Also, make sure to check out the class archetypes from Advanced Player's Guide. Many of them cover areas which people used to multiclass for.
The archetypes are a great addition to the game.

I do wonder, though, whether some of them don't change the multiclass equation a bit- for example, has anyone tried a Zen Archer combined with Fighter or Ranger for their archery boosts? A game I'm in now has a Monk/Inquisitor archer; I don't know whether he specifically went Zen Archer on the Monk but I think it's a better-than-even bet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads