Pathfinder 2E Multiclassing unveiled... through archetypes.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Specially Sorcerer-Bard and Cleric-Druid, as they share casting stats. Later Witch-wizard once we get witches

Definitely. I’d be willing to bet that doubling or tripling up on same-stat casting will be the most powerful of the power gamer builds. Cleric-Druids could even add monk for some additional Wisdom-based Powers. Until the Witch comes out, I’m expecting Alchemist to be a popular combination with Wizard.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is this how Rangers get their spells back, or is that handled through some other mechanic?

A ranger certainly could get spells this way. But they also said in the ranger blog that later down the line they might add an alternate class feature for rangers that gives them a pool of spell points just like Paladins have.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Definitely. I’d be willing to bet that doubling or tripling up on same-stat casting will be the most powerful of the power gamer builds. Cleric-Druids could even add monk for some additional Wisdom-based Powers. Until the Witch comes out, I’m expecting Alchemist to be a popular combination with Wizard.
That's probably true, but we can't be entirely sure without seeing the method by which stats advance. It's possible to make MAD builds more competitive by making the cost to increase a stat exponentially more expensive as the stat gets higher. So that getting a 20 is very expensive compared to getting 2 18s, for example.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That's probably true, but we can't be entirely sure without seeing the method by which stats advance. It's possible to make MAD builds more competitive by making the cost to increase a stat exponentially more expensive as the stat gets higher. So that getting a 20 is very expensive compared to getting 2 18s, for example.

As far as I remember, this is not the case, you bump 4 scores every some levels.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As far as I remember, this is not the case, you bump 4 scores every some levels.
That would certainly serve to make MAD builds more viable, certainly compared to 5e's stat increase model. That being said, the other pertinent issue is how they'll price stat increasing magic items.

I'm certainly not saying they'll definitely make multi-stat builds viable, just that I haven't seen enough info to rule it out yet. I'd love to see something like a druid/wizard build be viable.

Aldarc

Legend
Classic, personal favorite combinations that I am dying to try out:

* Wizard/Cleric: Some say "mystic theurge," but I say "proper priest of Wee Jas"!

* Rogue/Wizard: Not a fan of the 5e arcane trickster stopping at level 4 spells and taking forever to get there. Often requires additional wizard multiclassing to get more out of the subclass. I'll be paying attention to what I can make out of this combo.

* Bard/Sorcerer: Deekin Scalesinger does not have to choose bard or draconic sorcerer bloodline anymore. Deekin goes both.

* Wizard/Alchemist: Bookish mage and mad scientist, all in one!

mellored

Legend
Classic, personal favorite combinations that I am dying to try out:

* Wizard/Cleric: Some say "mystic theurge," but I say "proper priest of Wee Jas"!

* Rogue/Wizard: Not a fan of the 5e arcane trickster stopping at level 4 spells and taking forever to get there. Often requires additional wizard multiclassing to get more out of the subclass. I'll be paying attention to what I can make out of this combo.

* Bard/Sorcerer: Deekin Scalesinger does not have to choose bard or draconic sorcerer bloodline anymore. Deekin goes both.

* Wizard/Alchemist: Bookish mage and mad scientist, all in one!
I still want a sorcerer/barbarian as a "spell rager".

Remove ads