D&D 5E Multiclassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hejtmane

Explorer
I'm not saying that MC is purely about power gaming. Though if you go to the optimization section of these forums, it's rare to see a single class, while there are many, many 'optimized' builds that rely on multi classing. So it's hardly suprising folks associate MC with players attempting to work the mechanics rather than the character/fluff.

Anyway, we don't do it because weeeeell... no need. KISS and all that. Much as you can wrap a story around a heavily optimized MC character, you can do the same for a SC class character - so we do. Saves on paperwork, and generally less bullshankery.

You misunderstand a lot of the post on Optimization board then. Most people are not saying hey what is the best dpr build because that answer is usually going to be a single class. The optimization board usually starts off like this: I have this concept of blah and blah help me optimize this build around that concept. In other words what are the things I should watch for and what is the best option for me build my character concept. It is rarely about pure dpr but optimizing the character around a concept which usually requires multiclassing

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm considering home-ruling multiclassing for warlocks to limit the spell recovery to just warlock spells. Well, that and warlock/cleric always seemed odd to me from an RP perspective since the PC is basically serving two masters at that point.

Other than that, there's not a big issue, although taking a level or two of fighter is also pretty popular. Overall it doesn't break anything and unlike previous editions there's no horribly broken combos that I've run into yet.

Just as a comment, Warlock has a completely separate progression from the caster classes. By the rules, normal caster slots (most caster classes) resets of long rest, and the entirely separate warlock spell slots refresh on short or long rest.

Blue

This is why I don't like multiclassing.

I think subclasses are an elegant way to handle it.

UGH. There are so many different combonations of classes, each class would have a dozen just for common multiclassing before even expanding their own. Here's your rogue (divine) and druid (monk). Let's see, say 3 subclasses plus one for each other class, that 12 classes times 14 subclasses apiece for 168 subclasses.

Plus such a huge amount of rules bloat. Fighter (Eldritch Knight) is different than Wizard (Bladesinger) because they each have a primary class. And rogue (Arcane Trickster) is different then Fighter (Eldritch Knight) because each brings out the special parts of their main class. So we're looking at each of these subclasses needing to be designed uniquely, tested, balanced vs. each other, maybe spell lists picked, etc.

Multiclassing also allows character changes in direction. The lowly thief who's saved by the cleric from sure death and coverts strongly and starts to pick up paladin levels.

I'm also for iconic or customized subclass mixes, they can get a feel that strengths the thematics of the base class. But multiclassing is an elegant design space that fills a lot of holes and also doesn't need to be finalized at character creation allowing changes to character direction because of their place in the story.

Oofta

Legend
Just as a comment, Warlock has a completely separate progression from the caster classes. By the rules, normal caster slots (most caster classes) resets of long rest, and the entirely separate warlock spell slots refresh on short or long rest.

According to the PHB you can use pact magics spell slots to cast spells from other classes. So a cleric with a couple of levels of warlock can get back spell slots that can be used to cast Cure Light Wounds.

That doesn't make any sense to me thematically - it seems like healing should come from their deity, not from their pact with otherworldly power.

If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, let me know.

Note: I completely understand why they did it this way, and I would explain it as spell slots are similar to mana in other systems (although broken down into discrete chunks/slots). It doesn't matter where you get the mana from, you either have mana or you don't. It does simplify things.

To me it just seems like having two different motors, one that runs on gasoline and one that runs on diesel. The fuel for one should not be usable for the other. Of course if I was really strict and not stuck on the warlock/cleric thing I'd have to break up spell slots based on divine vs arcane/wizard vs warlock vs charisma and so on, which would be a pain. So I'm not recommending anyone else follow my convoluted logic, just mentioning something I do in my campaign.

PHB Page 164
Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain fram the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.

Last edited:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
You misunderstand a lot of the post on Optimization board then. Most people are not saying hey what is the best dpr build because that answer is usually going to be a single class. The optimization board usually starts off like this: I have this concept of blah and blah help me optimize this build around that concept. In other words what are the things I should watch for and what is the best option for me build my character concept. It is rarely about pure dpr but optimizing the character around a concept which usually requires multiclassing

That's a very.. romantic way of imaging the Character Builds & Optimization. Aside from the various class optimization guides, where the emphasis is power - and typically combat power at that - the majority of the posts are: Class/race/misc combo presented, followed by requests to make them the most effective, in other words, a request for advice regarding the best numbers/returns through option choice. And often a 'dip' is recommended, which obviously involves multiclassing.

Those dips, most of the time, are not about the roleplay optimization of a character but instead about getting the best numbers/most powerful options. As your say in your reply, ''The optimization board usually starts off like this: I have this concept of blah and blah help me optimize this build around that concept.'' Those asking for advice on optimization are not looking for role-play advice. Nobody is replying, ''Well, try to imagine what motives your character, what drives them'' or ''Have you considered what responsibilities define your character?'' Replies are, the vast majority of the time, advice regarding which options to choose for the best possible mechanical performance of a character, typically with regards to combat, be it through direct damage, control or utility.

Multiclassing present options - and often those options synergise to present particularity powerful builds. So naturally, when asked for advice, there are often suggestions to multiclass (..regardless of the validity of said suggestion). With multiclassing being a key component, via dipping or by simply taking X levels, in the advice on how to 'optimize my character concept', is it any wonder that multiclassing is so strongly associated with 'power gaming'?

Last edited:

Blue

According to the PHB you can use pact magics spell slots to cast spells from other classes. So a cleric with a couple of levels of warlock can get back spell slots that can be used to cast Cure Light Wounds.

That doesn't make any sense to me thematically - it seems like healing should come from their deity, not from their pact with otherworldly power.

If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, let me know.

Note: I completely understand why they did it this way, and I would explain it as spell slots are similar to mana in other systems (although broken down into discrete chunks/slots). It doesn't matter where you get the mana from, you either have mana or you don't. It does simplify things.

To me it just seems like having two different motors, one that runs on gasoline and one that runs on diesel. The fuel for one should not be usable for the other. Of course if I was really strict and not stuck on the warlock/cleric thing I'd have to break up spell slots based on divine vs arcane/wizard vs warlock vs charisma and so on, which would be a pain. So I'm not recommending anyone else follow my convoluted logic, just mentioning something I do in my campaign.

Thanks for taking time to reply - I misunderstood your initial post. Yes, you can cast any spell known in any of your slots. I was talking solely about slots refresh and only warlock slots coming back at a short rest, not your other caster slots. But you aren't talking about where the slots come from, you are talking about where the spells cast in the slots come from. Sorry, my bad.

So yes, default you can use any slot on any spell known. So now I understand your house rule.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
It depends if the other players were the ones expected to provide appropriate challenges for the Cleric character, and to be put under pressure to understand and adjudicate the rules for it during game play. They are not, so their concerns are fairly minor.[1] When the DM is the one who does have to handle a given character, their decision to veto certain options is of an entirely different worthiness than the player-concern you described there. If the DM decides to run Dark Sun, and a player wants to play a Cleric, the DM is entirely right to say no; just so, if a DM's view of the game / world / whatever doesn't include multiclassing, then (s)he is entirely right to say no to that, too. The players, naturally, are entirely right to walk away from the game if that is a deal breaker for them, and to find a different table instead.

The 'no clerics in Dark Sun' problem has got nothing to do with the MC debate. If there are no clerics in Dark Sun - fair enough - this means that there are no single class clerics OR multiclass clerics. No-one is claiming that MCing allows forbidden classes in the back door.

The DM doesn't have to 'handle' MC characters any more than SC characters. If the DM is running a campaign for, say, '5th level PCs, only classes/races from the PHB', then the DM already has to be able to 'handle' 5th lvl barbarians, 5th lvl bards, 5th lvl clerics, etc. and all of the abilities that they have.

Therefore, if a PC turns up with, say, 2 lvls of cleric and 3 lvls of fighter/battlemaster, then there is literally nothing to 'handle' that he cannot 'handle' already! You already can 'handle' 5th lvl clerics and 5th lvl fighter/battlemaster! When the MC Clr/Ftr uses a superiority die or Channels Divinity, you already know how to handle it!

"But what about the power of MC PCs? Won't it destroy the delicate balance of the game?"

What, not being able to cast 2nd or 3rd lvl spells and not getting two attacks per round is 'too powerful', or would destroy the delicate game balance?

There is no ability possessed by a MC PC that a SC PC cannot already do. Meanwhile, there are plenty of things a SC PC can do that a MC PC of the same level cannot do.

But I don't want to do your debating for you. What specific 'problem', in terms of adjudication or game balance, do MC PCs introduce to the game?

You're not addressing the central point of my comment: that it is the DM's right to allow or disallow certain things, and that your contention that it is equal to another player vetoing a class is an irrelevant comparison. Dark Sun clerics is absolutely the same thing, since it is all about the DM's vision for the campaign. I'm not particularly interested in getting into nuts and bolts power comparison, since that is dragging the conversation into territory that is irrelevant to my point, but instead to say that a DM's personal preference is absolutely a reason to disallow multiclassing.

Arial Black

Adventurer
You're not addressing the central point of my comment: that it is the DM's right to allow or disallow certain things, and that your contention that it is equal to another player vetoing a class is an irrelevant comparison. Dark Sun clerics is absolutely the same thing, since it is all about the DM's vision for the campaign. I'm not particularly interested in getting into nuts and bolts power comparison, since that is dragging the conversation into territory that is irrelevant to my point, but instead to say that a DM's personal preference is absolutely a reason to disallow multiclassing.

The DM's personal preference for character choice is for his characters, not mine. My PCs are my choice.

The DM really does have a choice about the in-game things he allows in his game, but MCing is not in-game, it's metagame. The creatures in the campaign world have no idea about game mechanics directly, only about how those things might manifest within that world. So, clerics getting power from gods is a thing that can be observed in-game, but the direct game mechanics of class cannot be observed. So the creatures could not know that this cleric has, say, a level of fighter, just that this cleric is good at fighting. You can't reasonable disallow 'good at fighting' as an observable concept.

For the metagame, DMs can certainly allow or disallow things. Spells, spellcasting, armour types (no full plate in my world thank you very much; the technology doesn't exist yet and I want a different flavour).

But you cannot say 'characters cannot have an Armour Class because I don't allow attack rolls to fail'.

You can say you don't allow warlocks, you can say you won't allow fighters, but if you allow those classes and the abilities that they have then you cannot disallow MC fighter/warlocks on the grounds that it doesn't fit the vision for your campaign. You already do allow those things in your campaign!

If you allow training in weapons and armour, and you allow warlocks, you cannot say that warlocks with weapon/armour training are against the laws of physics! What in-game reason prevents them?

There is no in-game reason why warlocks would be incapable of learning weapon skills. There is no metagame reason, because you already allow warlocks and fighters.

All you've got is that you don't 'like' it, therefore no-one else is allowed it. You have emotion, but not reason. It is not a reasoned position.

If your world has different coloured paints and you allow shields to be painted, and you're okay with red shields and blue shields, but don't like shields that are half red and half blue, then that is a personal preference you are entitled to have. But the idea that there is something about the universe which prevents shields that are half red and half blue is absurd. In-game you can have a School of Heraldry which disallows that kind of mix, but there is no law of the universe which could prevent it, even if the College of Arms might have a word with the PC.

But red paint and blue paint exist in the world. Character classes do not exist in the world, they are metagame mechanics.

There is no MC character whose abilities you do not already allow, so disallowing a PC with those mechanics is against reason.

When 5E made MCing and feats 'optional', it was an aid to get newbies into the game quicker. Like stabilisers on your first bike, they are meant to be removed once the newbie has got the hang of it.

There is no other valid reason. "I don't like it so you can't have it" is a childish response not worthy of a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads