D&D General Multiply Die?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Again, I am not a doctor and I don't have any numbers except personal experiences,
Yeah, I'm not a doctor either. That's why I have to speculate w

I remember getting to roll those 8d6 for a decent fireball as one of the biggest joys in my career as a mage. Well, unless over half turned up 1s or 2s, sure ;)
Oh, hey look. More results are coming in :geek: We'll be able to write that thesis on D&D's popularity being based on dice-rolling-addiction!

We seem to have a radically different experience of D&D. For me as a DM, the fun is actually coping with unforeseen actions of the players, both in and out of combat. I never plan many details ahead (but I do have a good storyline), because with 6 chaotic players (and chaotic characters) there isn't much planning you can do before they all jump off the railroad in a particular session.
I'm pretty sure that the alignment of most players is chaotic neutral, but I digress. I wasn't referring to designing game sessions - I was referring to designing official product. I assume one of the goals of a WOTC adventure-writer is to challenge PCs without killing them, and making that task relatively easy for the DM. It's already a daunting task, but if you can expect to drop in a monster who does X damage on average, against characters who have X hit points on average, then you know how many PCs will be alive and fiending for their next die roll after the encounter. On average. Without the averaging, and with critical hits, kobolds could rule the world, purely by accident of the dice. Or, boss encounters could be mistaken for dungeon-fodder encounters.

Multiplying dice sounds like a good "benefit" for someone with a Chaos feat...

Remove ads