Music at the gaming table?

Which is why I love Corvus Corax. They use traditional instruments and everything they sing is in latin. :)
No good. That's my native language. :(

I've rarely found music to be distracting, just like the soundtrack to a movie isn't distracting. Mousfer has the right of it, though... lyrics are bad, pop music is bad, Star Wars is bad (unless its a Star Wars game) and too loud is bad, because all of those can and likely will distract. Otherwise, you're usually pretty good.

I tend to use a lot of music, and I don't try to tie music to combat, or anything like that; it all adds to the ambience well enough. I'm a big fan of movie scores and have used... oh, I'm sure I'm going to miss a lot of them, but off the top of my head. Keep in mind that many of these movies I can't recommend as movies per se, but the soundtracks are great.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Lord of the Rings (all three)
Pirates of the Caribbean (all three)
Indiana Jones (all four)
Mummy (all three)
Van Helsing
Sleepy Hollow
Men in Black
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Last of the Mohicans
Last Samurai
Minority Report
Gladiator
Troy
10,000 BC
Aliens vs. Predator
Signs
Patriot Games
End of Days (still the spookiest track in my collection, actually)
Day After Tomorrow
Batman Begins
Edward Scissorhands
Braveheart

Lately I've also been using a lot of Midnight Syndicate and Nox Arcana. While they're not as good as actual movie soundtracks, there's still some good stuff there, and if anything it fades even more into the background than movie soundtracks do. Arguably, that's what it's best at; I actually struggle to just listen to it straight through without falling asleep, but it's good background stuff while gaming or reading.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
No good. That's my native language. :(

Uh, I'm not sure how latin can be somebody's "native" language :confused: Although, if you're heavily into science, law, the Roman Classics, edicts and papal bulls issued by the Catholic Church, or your parents just decided that your first language should be latin for some unusual reason, I guess I can see it becoming an issue... ;)

Uh, I'm not sure how latin can be somebody's "native" language :confused: Although, if you're heavily into science, law, the Roman Classics, edicts and papal bulls issued by the Catholic Church, or your parents just decided that your first language should be latin for some unusual reason, I guess I can see it becoming an issue... ;)
You missed the obvious one... I'm just really, really, really old.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Lounge Music all the way.

Between the Ultra Lounge (tm) compilations:

Bachelor Pad Royale
Cha Cha Amor
Space-capades
and
Mondo Exotique

I have everything I need. Even fight music, assuming you don't mind a manic bongo-beat for every battle. :cool:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
You may find the program RPG-Deck handy - it allows multiple tracks, so you can interrupt the background music with gunshots, explosions, etc. (A trick that I am fond of - nothing focuses the players like hearing gunshots or screams. Roll secretly for Listen checks if you feel like it, playing the sound if the PCs make the check. I run Spycraft on a frequent basis, either modern for Delta Green or 1800s for Steampunk.)

Another thing that sometimes helps focus the group is having a 'theme song' a tune that is playing, somewhat louder than the background music, while the players are arriving, getting their dice out, etc.... For the kids game I run when the theme song ends the game begins - those at the table describing the story so far. It seems to help. For my Steampunk game I start with a song that may have something t do with the theme of that night's game.)

Anonymous 4 does some very nice Latin pieces, and Holst is never a bad choice in the background. Gregorian chants are also good, and sometimes so are recordings of Greek Orthodox masses.

The Auld Grump - Abney Park works in the background of Steampunk fairly well.

Last edited:

Is it weird that I keep wanting to play Judas Priest and Dragonforce music whilst playing 4th ed?

Nope, I had just read this thread and while classical, instrumental, and soundtracks all have a lot to be said for them, something with *metal* in it seems appropriate too.

During our last session, my Holy Avenger, using radiant skills such as Temple Of Light and Abjure Undead, and some timely crits rampaged through a skeleton pack in a small village. I had my laptop over in another corner, and cranked up Skillet's "Monster"....

Just seemed to fit... :)

Remove ads