D&D General Music in Discord game?

Mister-Kent

Explorer
All the voice games I've run or played in have used a music bot, usually Groovy. It's worked very well! Individual players can adjust the volume to their liking, but I think it's definitely a cool option. YouTube has lots of good music to use, and you van even make playlists that will auto-cycle.

Nebulous

Legend
I use Roll20 and Discord. Roll20 has a built in Jukebox, and if you're more savvy with the macros there are ways to tweak it even further, such as adding sound effects to attacks and monsters. I have been trying to integrate the free Tabletop Audio sound clips, but have had a terrible time getting the links to work and broadcast properly. Has anyone else had issues using the Soundpad that comes with Tabletop Audio?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I mostly use creepy ambient music, but that's all youtube. I don't know how one goes about adding music to one of those newfangled online platforms.

For anyone who like ambient, the Cryo Chamber Youtube channel has some awesome dark ambient for fantasy games. They even have multiple sets inspired by HP Lovecraft.

Nebulous

Legend
I mostly use creepy ambient music, but that's all youtube. I don't know how one goes about adding music to one of those newfangled online platforms.

I can only speak for Roll20 Jukebox because that's the only one I currently use, but you can either A) Add music from Tabletop Audio for free (and it has a searchable database built in) or B) upload music tracks from your own collection. I already have hundreds and hundreds of sfx and music tracks from years of collecting them, so it's easier for me to just search my archives and upload something I need. It's a simple as clicking the name of the file and hit upload and it goes to the jukebox.

tommybahama

Adventurer
I have been trying to integrate the free Tabletop Audio sound clips, but have had a terrible time getting the links to work and broadcast properly. Has anyone else had issues using the Soundpad that comes with Tabletop Audio?

Try turning off echo cancellation and the next setting below it (forget what it's called) in Discord.

HJFudge

Explorer
Yeah when I've run discord games, I've used music to good effect. Always low volume, always ambient. No lyrics is important...as I have found even lyrics in other languages can draw the players out of the scene and into the song, which you do not want.

But if you get a good, interesting track which enhances the scene and can kinda fade into the background without taking it over, it really adds to thing!

Remove ads