Music Suggestions for a Gothic Horror game

TracerBullet42

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Pretty much anything by Danny Elfman is good. Frinstance, I just watched Sleepy Hollow last night while the new baby was crying. That'd be a great D&D soundtrack for a dark, creepy game.

I second Elfman. Try The Frighteners soundtrack. Signs is also a good one. Or the Dreamcatcher soundtrack.

Halivar

First Post
For the Hack n' Slash scenes, can't beat KMFDM or Rammstein.

For the eerie here-thar-be-monsters feel when a player enters a darkened mansion, I'd play Enya's Tempus Vernum (track 4, I believe, off of A Day Without Rain) or the ultra-gothic sounding Pax Deorum (track 3 off of Memory of Trees). The deep chant in the background is just spooky.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
SpringPlum said:
The soundtrack for Interview with a Vampire is pretty good. It is more dramatically evil than spooky, but it might have some tracks that would work.

I would second Interview. I find the soundtrack has a particular quality that seems to put my nerves on edge. Played low in the background during the castle exploration it would IMO make your players more jumpy. I would play something more soothing and gypsy like however for the village and the woods.

Azlan

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Maybe I can find a Halloween classical collection. "Night on Bald Mountain" is a great one.

I tried that once, years ago, in one of my roleplaying sessions. It reminded the players of the "scrubbing bubbles" commercial of a bathroom cleaning product, which was on TV during those days.

Wombat said:
Any of these, ANY of these is going to be head and shoulders above the musical pablum of Midnight Syndicate.
The problem with "better" music is that it starts to detract from the game.

When I'm gaming, I want background music, so pablum it is. Well, would be if I used music during gaming more often. My DM does in our home game, and sometimes the music is distracting.

But sweet, soothing musical pablum, well, it's just there, not really registering in the conscious mind. Sort of like Muzak for gamers. It adds to the mood subconsciously, without anyone even realizing it's there.

Bottled Imp Games

First Post
Hellraising...

The best and most atmospheric music to play in Game is the Hellraiser Soundtrack.

Completely creepy - control the sound yourself (finger on the play button) and you can really get the players' hearts pumping...

Regards

Imp

Ashy

First Post
Signs is a very good one, as is some of the stuff from David Bowie. Also the soundtrack to Event Horizon is really spooky too. I used all of these (and a few more) when writing Horrors of Penance and some other stuff... :)

hong

WotC's bitch
ABBA. The horror, the horror.

DANCING QUEEN
(S.Anderson/B.Andersson/B.Ulvaeus)
First release 1976

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the Dancing Queen

Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for the place to go
Where they play the right music, getting in the swing
You come in to look for a King