D&D 5E Musings on the likelihood of future products

Mercurius

Legend
Without going and digging around for it, I am almost sure I read or heard an interview with Wyatt where he said the Magic settings he had done as free pdfs were not likely to get the hardcover book treatment, or they would be at the end of the list behind all the other settings, or something like that.

On a side note, if they ever do a hardcover adventure for Ravnica, I hope it is based on this:

There's also the Rabiah Scale. The top five settings are Dominaria, Ravnica, Innistrad, Zendikar, and Theros. We're 2-for-2 so far, and I would expect that we'll probably see at least one or two of the others, although all three have received Planeshift PDFs.

There's also the Rabiah Scale. The top five settings are Dominaria, Ravnica, Innistrad, Zendikar, and Theros. We're 2-for-2 so far, and I would expect that we'll probably see at least one or two of the others, although all three have received Planeshift PDFs.

Another quote I am almost sure I remember is regarding Dominaria. It is not likely to get a book because it is basically the "home world" for Magic, since all the core sets are based there, and the closest in style to already existing high fantasay D&D settings.

Mercurius

Legend
Another quote I am almost sure I remember is regarding Dominaria. It is not likely to get a book because it is basically the "home world" for Magic, since all the core sets are based there, and the closest in style to already existing high fantasay D&D settings.

Yeah, I hear you--but for this very reason (homeworld), I don't think it is off the table.

On a different note, I could see some kind of tie-in book to the D&D movie in 2022: possibly an adventure path and/or player's guide, depending upon where the film is set (isn't it going to be in the Realms?).

On a different note, I could see some kind of tie-in book to the D&D movie in 2022: possibly an adventure path and/or player's guide, depending upon where the film is set (isn't it going to be in the Realms?).

I almost wish the D&D movie would use the MtG worlds, instead of any of the legacy D&D worlds. Or maybe have four or five main characters, each from a different old D&D world, who gets transported/kidnapped/whatever to Dominaria, where most of the first movie takes place. And then they have to world-hop as Planeswalkers-in-training to hunt down a dimensions-spanning evil.

Undrave

Legend
The real problem was really simple - the Mystic was on par with the full casters, not on-par with the non-full casters. And if you trialed a new full caster, people would reject it. If you imagine a 5E that launched without a Wizard say, and added it as a class in UA, it would definitely, certainly have attracted massive criticism and been labeled grossly overpowered.

It's final incarnation also was 28 pages long... that seems excessive for a single class!

I do think we will see a 50th Anniversary set of the core books - and it will not contain a single rule revision that's not part of standard errata.

Limited edition with fancy covers, absolutely. Maybe some new art. I could see a glossary and a real index but wouldn't bet on it. But there would be such a fan uproar and pushback at a revised set of rules - regardless of lightly or heavily revised - that it is so close to 0% as to be indistinguishable. If you count shouting down the marketing guy who suggests it in a meeting, it might actually be a negative chance to happen.

Unless they turn the crank and have a whole new edition for 50th. But that is again not a revision, it's a new edition.

What if they reprinted the PHB with errata, but replaced some of the subclasses with call backs to older editions? Like an Acrobat Monk, and reprint the Cavalier, etc?

@Ruin Explorer i do think you have a point.
Like a Full caster with mor flexibility and fewer constraints.

Put like that it sounds pretty OP...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What if they reprinted the PHB with errata, but replaced some of the subclasses with call backs to older editions? Like an Acrobat Monk, and reprint the Cavalier, etc?

All of the PHBs get errata when they are reprinted.

But I do not think they will replace subclasses or make any rules revisions
in the 50th Anniversary versions of the core books. Either they will go for a full blow new edition (which I think unlikely) or they will leave it. As I said before, I think they understand the blowback they'd get for trying to sneak in a 5.X edition.

Again, this is a forecast, not a wish.

I do find it interesting that the PHB mentions Krynn and Greyhawk, and the DMG talks about both those, Dark Sun, Mystara and has an overview of the planes, yet no further support has ever materialized for this stuff in 5th edition. I don't think it means anything much about future publications, but it definitely tells you something about what they imagined they'd be releasing back when they wrote the core books.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think that rather than a Planescape or Spelljammer book, as such, they will make a book that simply explores planar and world-hopping adventure, will have spelljammers, sigil, and other elements of those two properties, but the work will put the current 5e dnd multi-verse first, and any consideration of the canon of those settings a distant 5th place after fun, expansion of the ruleset, and whatever pet widgets they want to play with that work out in UA.

What I would want them to do with such a product is use much of the book to explore worlds they aren't sure they want to make a whole book for, and use them as examples of how to build a setting to emulate a theme or tone for a campaign, and the sort of player and DM options that will support that type of world and campaign. ie, a chapter on DL, with a couple races and subclasses, and advice using DL as an example to show how to build a romantic fantasy world where heroes have to stand up even to gods in order to save the world.

Mercurius

Legend
All of the PHBs get errata when they are reprinted.

But I do not think they will replace subclasses or make any rules revisions
in the 50th Anniversary versions of the core books. Either they will go for a full blow new edition (which I think unlikely) or they will leave it. As I said before, I think they understand the blowback they'd get for trying to sneak in a 5.X edition.

But if they make the game (even) better? And offer a few new bells and whistles? And still be backwards compatible? And doesn't require people to buy new books to play future products?

While everyone is entitled to their outrage, should Wizards really let themselves be held hostage by a small minority who are adverse to any change, even if isn't really substantial change?

I do find it interesting that the PHB mentions Krynn and Greyhawk, and the DMG talks about both those, Dark Sun, Mystara and has an overview of the planes, yet no further support has ever materialized for this stuff in 5th edition. I don't think it means anything much about future publications, but it definitely tells you something about what they imagined they'd be releasing back when they wrote the core books.

I don't think they had a specific plan back then, because it was pending how 5E would be received. They left it open-ended, although wanted to acknowledge the range of D&D worlds. Meaning, mentioning Mystara didn't mean they had plans for Mystara. It was a nod in that direction; a micro-homage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases