D&D 4E My 4e problem.

Michael Morris

First Post
Well, here goes. This is what I'm going to go with. This will be a long time in drawing up, but I think the new class solution with a smattering of support feats and slight rework of ritual casting should embed the flavor of the setting into the 4e game.

Mage
We are the seekers of truth
Keepers of the five paths
The truth others glimpse
We see in whole.

CLASS TRAITS
Role: Varies. The role of a mage (plural magi) is determined by the color(s) of magic that his powers draw from. As a standing rule Gold magic supports the leader role, Green magic the defender, Red magic the striker and Silver the controller. Blue magic does not cleanly fit into any role - it being a color of trickery, illusion, time and magical manipulation.

Power Source: Planar. The magic of the mages draws from the outer planes of Carthasana's cosmology. Similar in some respects to divine magic due to origin, the magic of the the magi is not bound to the dictates of any deity and can be used as freely as any arcane magic.

Key Abilities: Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma. The various magi powers draw almost exclusively from mental abilities.

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth

Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, Quarterstaff

Implements: By primary color
Gold - Rod
Blue - Orb
Silver - Dagger
Red - Wand
Green - Staff

Bonus to Defense: +2 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: By primary color
Gold: 14 + Constitution score
Blue: 10 + Constitution score
Silver: 10 + Constitution score
Red: 8 + Constitution score
Green: 12 + Constitution score

Hit Points per Level Gained: By color chosen for that level
Gold: 7
Blue: 5
Silver: 4
Red: 3
Green: 6

Trained Skills: Arcana, one determined by primary color, and one other from among all skills.
Gold: Heal
Blue: Perception
Silver: Stealth
Red: Intimidate
Green: Insight

Build Options: Quite a few...

Class Features: Ritual Magic

Magi channel power from the outer planes of Carthasana - Valra (Gold), Balcra (Blue), Sodra (Silver), Shunra (Red) and Abora (Green). Your spells are closely tied to your alignment and nature moreso than any other character class - for the you and your powers are one and the same. The path of the magi is the oldest magical tradition of Carthasana passed down from the days of primordial dragons and this form of magic is the weapon of choice of the most famous and infamous magic weilders of the world, names such as Telsindria, Yarenic, Serrin, Melshan and Sirrom.

Your path lies with the color(s) you choose to align yourself as does your role. As such be warned that the magi class is the most difficult to play. While the magi as a group can serve as defender, striker, controller or leader, an individual mage must choose his role with his powers. If you wish you can choose a spectrum of powers that lets you be second best at each of the roles, or you can focus on a role (and usually a color).

Creating a Mage

Your path as a mage begins with your alignment. Unlike all other classes in which alignment is largely subconscious (though it does determine what rituals a caster can learn - see rituals chapter) for you it is an active choice from which you draw your power. Your chosen alignment determines your primary color. All of your first level powers must come from this color.

As you go up in level like all other characters you gain power slots. When you first receive a slot you must choose it's color. Choose wisely - this choice is permanent short of the use of atonement magic (You can retrain the powers in the slot, but the new powers going to the slot must be the same color as the power that preceeded them).

Further note - although all mage powers only occupy 1 power slot, some require that you have more than 1 power slot be of their color. This insures that while the magi as a group have a vast and storied collection of powers among them, no one magi can ever master all of them (though a planeswalker might - see epic destinies).

Note also that if your behavior for a long period of time is consistent with an ethos you do not have your power slot on level up may have the color matching that ethos.

Magi Powers (Drafts - and these are among my first attempts so they could be WAY off the power scale either way).

Remand
Balcra Attack 1

"What part of 'no' did you not understand Lord Alskin." - Queen Tiliansia

With a burst of blue energy you break up an opponent's attempt at spellcasting. Do not breathe easy, they can regain the power at any time.

At-Will + Planar, Implement, Counter
Triggered Action
Ranged: 10
Target: One Implement Power
Trigger: Power Used
Attack: Intelligence vs. Willpower
Hit: Target power fails. Recharges on :6:

Exsanguination
Sodra Attack 1

Silvery radiance surrounds a foe and wounds that should close do not.

Encounter + Planar, Implement
Standard Action
Ranged: 10
Target: One living creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: Each successful power use on the target with a slashing or piercing weapon has the following additional effect: "The target takes ongoing 1 bleeding damage (save ends)"

Each color will have 4 spells for each level, meaning that as a class the magi have a staggering 20 spells / level to choose from, far more than any other class (Also far harder to balance than any other class - but hey I'm a sucker for difficult tasks).

Baron Opal

First Post
Wow. Good luck to you.

I find that creating a new class in 4e is a daunting task. There are so many powers that you have to define.

I have pretty much ripped off your take on the color alignment system a few years ago and am finding it much to my liking, by the way. I call them ideals. I have considered tying the power sources to an ideal; divine to Order (White), arcane to Logic (Blue), primal to Instinct (Green)... but I don't have enough sources and I don't like how it comes together.

keterys

First Post
I'd recommend that Red's hp be higher - normal for a Striker is 12 + Con and 5 per level, and yours are set lower than a wizard's (10 + Con and 4 per level). You also have Green's (defender) hp at Striker levels instead of defender levels... and defenders really do need the hp.

Gold's hp are very high for a leader, but it's more okay to give extra hp than deprive them I suspect.

Michael Morris

First Post
No, red's hit points should be fine where they are. By design the red magi is the hardest hitting striker/controller class of all, but to balance it the class has a glass jaw. This is in keeping with red's fighting philosophy of he who hits hardest wins. No class hits harder than the red mage, but the red mage doesn't have much else.

Gold's hit points being high is because as a leader, or more often a leader/controller type of class gold doesn't have good armor (no magi do) or weapon attacks. This is fine by gold - protect, reinforce and bolster allies. Gold has the strongest abjurational spells, the strongest "new rule" spells and best healing magic. Gold doesn't directly attack at all (even the cleric and bard have better offensive options than the gold mage) but gold's ability to block attack or make it irrelevant through healing is unequaled.

Green is a defender by proxy. Summoning the best creatures and then bolstering them, it is those creatures which then do the marking of the foe and keep them at bay for the green mage. The green mage also has the strongest bolstering spells in the game to use on himself.

Silver is a controller color to a degree - but it has it's fingers in many pots as long as the mage is willing to pay a price. Silver has striker as a secondary role - it doesn't hit as hard as red but no other class can (or should) make red's unbridled and naked agression. Silver corrupts, divides and attacks things no other class has attacked before, like a characters untapped latent power potential.

And then Blue. Blue is a wild card. Countermagic is still a heavy theme still for blue. From the very annoying remand to stifle, to power sink, dissipate and counterspell itself, the blue mage is the class that can tell monsters and characters alike the word "No." When not interferring with the opponent's ability to generate an offense blue misdirects, manipulates and steals. I'll be outlining the powers of blue first because it doesn't play like any other class currently in 4e.

After the colors are drafted out as individuals their intergration will be worried about. Finally the issue of characters multi-classing to mage. My initial thought is that a character who becomes a multiclass mage can only use one color's powers and even then only the more relaxed requirement spells of that color.

Michael Morris

First Post
And now for new powers. Please remember I haven't been doing this long so some of these powers could be way off the mark.

Bloodlust
Shunra (Red) Attack 1

With a cry of hatred you put your soul's very energy behind the blow increasing it's damage.

Encounter + Planar
Immediate Action
Target: One Creature
Trigger: You hit with any attack or power
Effect: Spend a healing surge. Instead of healing, deal that amount of damage.

Confiscate
Balcra (Blue) Utility 10

You rob a creature of a power's ongoing effect.

Encounter + Planar
Standard Action
Hit: Spend another power of equal type and equal or greater level than a power the target creature is maintaining. You become the controller of that effect and the center point of the range switches to you.

Donate
Balcra (Blue) Utility 6

You imbue a creature with a power.

Encounter + Planar
Standard Action
Melee: Touch
Effect: Choose one of your daily or encounter powers. The touched creature gains the ability to use the power. For you this power is expended. The touched creature must be of level to use the power you imbue them with or donate fails.

Roger

First Post
They're all fairly strange. You're blazing new territory in the design space with these, so it's hard to say what the balance is like. A fully-implemented character might be easier to compare to existing characters.

Cheers,
Roger

Engilbrand

First Post
You don't want them to have TOO much of a glass jaw. There's probably a reason that the Wizard has the lowest number of hit points.
I really like the idea of using a healing surge to add to damage. That's awesome.

Cadfan

First Post
In contrast, I'm really against the idea of using up healing surges for damage. I think that should happen very, very rarely. It encourages fewer fights per day, by letting PCs burn up their resilience for greater short term damage.

Michael Morris

First Post
Resilience is not a virtue all magi embrace, and frankly such a choice should belong to the players, not the system.

Ok, continuing - concentrating on Blue (Balcra). This is the color of thought and learning. It is not a combative color so making powers for it for combat is a bit challenging.

Level 1 At Will Spells

Remand
Balcra Attack 1

"What part of 'no' did you not understand Lord Alskin." - Queen Tiliansia

With a burst of blue energy you break up an opponent's attempt at spellcasting. Do not breathe easy, they can regain the power at any time.

At-Will + Planar, Implement, Counter
Immediate Interrupt
Ranged: 5
Target: One Power
Trigger: Power Used
Hit: Counter target non-weapon power. It Recharges on :5: :6:

Taunt
Balcra Attack 1

You goad your foe into attacking you even if your other allies present a more clear threat.

At-Will + Planar
Standard Action Range 5
Attack: Charisma vs. Willpower
Hit: 1d6 + charisma modifier psychic damage and you become marked by the creature (they lose any other marks they may have established)
Level 21: 2d6 + Charisma modifier damage

Daze
Balcra Attack 1

You mutter a few incoherent syllables and the world briefly spins about your foe.

At-Will + Planar
Standard Action Range 5
Hit: The target is dazed until your next action.
Level 21: The target is stunned

Remove ads