D&D 4E My compiled list of 4E's WoWisms

bonethug0108

First Post
I think alot of people are confusing people arguing against d&d becoming wow and d&d borrowing from wow. Early on it was hip to say that d&d was becoming a mindless mmo like wow, which anyone with half a brain would now that first wow is not some brainless game, and second that d&d is far from being like an mmo.

Now I don't think many people were denying that d&d was borrowing from wow or other games. But to say that this or that is directly from wow and thus d&d is becoming exactly like wow was just insane.

Not to mention that most things people say came from wow really come from another game(video or p&p rpg).

If anything I would say d&d has borrowed much more from CoH. That is not to say it is becoming CoH.

Edit:
And let's not forget that chris said that they did look for inspiration in other rpgs and video games, and mentioned wow specifically.

AZRogue

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
1) Then you should have titled this thread "things that D&D shares with WoW" or something similar instead of the obviously divisive title you actually gave it, given the obvious discussion of the subject on these boards.

2) The aspects that you listed may be elements of WoW, but might not be considered by all to be trademarks or staples of WoW.

Yes. Saying that they are things that they have in COMMON with WoW would be accurate. Your list holds mostly things that DnD had BEFORE WoW so they would be DnDisms, even if WoW has them too.

Even so, I think you're right in that WotC wants to copy a lot of WoW's flavor (even if your examples and they way you put it together fails to illustrate it). WoW is very successful and considered fun by many, many people. A lot of it wouldn't fit a PnP RPG but I think it's wise to try and examine those aspects that are the most fun and figure out if there's a way to do the same thing. If someone succeeds, you examine what they did and see if there's a way to apply what they've done.

Overall an interesting thread.

king_ghidorah

First Post
Jedi_Solo said:
Talent Trees: These easily can be traced back to Diablo 2. There could easily be something earlier than that but I don't know what it would be off the top of my head. Final Fantasy Tactics has something for it's classes where you have to be certain levels in classes to go to new ones. More of a PrC basis than a Talent Tree Basis though.

And, of course, talent trees really come in to 4e through d20 Modern. That's circa 2002. World of Warcraft was unveiled in 2004, with a playtest period for about a year ahead. Talent trees have an origin in d20 games that predate World of Warcraft. Period.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
king_ghidorah said:
And, of course, talent trees really come in to 4e through d20 Modern. That's circa 2002. World of Warcraft was unveiled in 2004, with a playtest period for about a year ahead. Talent trees have an origin in d20 games that predate World of Warcraft. Period.

Yes -- but the point that the haters would like to make is that if it's in WoW at all, it's crap. WoW obviously ruined D&D back in 1974 when Gary pilfered all of that crazy stuff like classes, levels, and list-based magic. ;)

bonethug0108

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Yes -- but the point that the haters would like to make is that if it's in WoW at all, it's crap. WoW obviously ruined D&D back in 1974 when Gary pilfered all of that crazy stuff like classes, levels, and list-based magic. ;)
Very true. There is an ancient proficy that speaks about how gygax enslaved the wow and stole from it it's very being. Legend went on to speak about how one day wow would be unleashed and destroy the very thing that gygax created from it's being.

Once again, wow is whole. It has devoured d&d and is again the true ruler of the multiverse.

Remove ads