• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My FLGS just put 4E on 50% off discount

MrMyth

First Post
You know, for all the proclamations of WotC to the contrary, it's pretty undeniable that the retailers do behave as if product is being phased out and overstock cleared as if there was no need to sell it competitively.

The interesting question is: are these retailers acting on insider information that WotC wouldn't care to share with the customers, or are they acting on their own instinct?

I'm rather tired of seeing this sort of claim, here, and having you try to cover up the truth of what WotC is really up to! It's clear that the ink in WotC's 4E products (the stuff that, everyone knows, smears easily) is filled with mind-controlling drugs, and WotC has grown tired of waiting for enough people to buy these products so they can enact their master plan. Obviously they have sent their henchmen to force these retailers to cut prices and spread these tainted gaming books far and wide!

Last edited:

Windjammer

Adventurer
In other words, that store is selling returned books, not new books, and that is why they are discounted. They've always done that.

Nice try, Mark. But I ordered the three Power splats (Arcane, Divine, Primal) last month for $10 a piece and let me tell you that they're brandnew.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nice try, Mark. But I ordered the three Power splats (Arcane, Divine, Primal) last month for $10 a piece and let me tell you that they're brandnew.

What do you mean by "nice try"? What do you think I am trying to do?

They TELL you they are not new. The condition is listed as "Like New" as opposed to "Brand New". "Like new" is defined in part as "...has been read". And they tell you they might have remainder marks. eBay has strict rules for book conditions, and these books do not qualify for their "brand new" condition description.

BTW, a bunch of the books they sell are not even in "Like New" condition. For example, I was hoping to buy Dungeon Delve from them, but if you look at their listings, none of them are even "Like New". The best they offer is "Good", and there are only 5 copies of that, and all the rest are listed as "Acceptable", which means they could have a broken binding.

The books that store sells are returns, not brand new. Other conditions that store sells are "Acceptable", with lower prices still (but they are much more beat up). The whole store is a returns/remainder store, not a new book retailer.

I'm glad your books look new by the way. But, that doesn't make this a new book retailer.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Some 4E titles have already been remaindered?

We're not seeing mass remaindering of unsold books, at least not from what I can tell. That store puts that language in all their listings regardless of source, which is why it says "Other notes: Books may have remainder mark..All books leave the warehouse within 1-2 business days..100% satisfaction guaranteed". It's a blanket CYA statement for their cookie-cutter form.

I am pretty sure this is a batch of returned books (returned by end users).

ggroy

First Post
I imagine a batch of returned books were remaindered, given the condition listing as lightly read. We're not seeing mass remaindering of unsold books, at least not from what I can tell. It could also be that store puts that language in all their listings regardless of source.

I haven't seen any yet either for 4E books.

The only large mass remaindering of D&D books I've seen, were some Eberron titles.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The only large mass remaindering of D&D books I've seen, were some Eberron titles.

There was a lot of remaindering in the 3.5 era, if my dozens of remaindered books (both from WotC and other publishers) purchased from Amazon for pennies on the dollar were any indicator.

ggroy

First Post
There was a lot of remaindering in the 3.5 era, if my dozens of remaindered books (both from WotC and other publishers) purchased from Amazon for pennies on the dollar were any indicator.

I was thinking of remaindered books which showed up in the discount sections at big box bookstores. Though I can imagine there being a lot more remaindered D&D books online and at amazon.

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm watching all this debating and bickering back and forth and I cant help but think that if I played 4E I would be like:

AWESOME 50% OFF 4E BOOKS?!?! WHERE'S MY WALLET?!?!

Why can't you guys just enjoy your good fortune? I'll tell you if it were Pathfinder stuff or M&M stuff? I'd be snatching stuff up quick. Cause of the sale be darned...

Dire Bare

Legend
Actually you're not. You're pulling the same "gamers are smelly, oblivious mouth breathers" BS that non-gamers pull and I think it is reprehensible -- especially so as a gamer.

Sorry, but you are just taking his post too far and out-of-context. Fact remains that a decent percentage of gamers that hang out playing at hobby stores can be a bit fat and smelly. It's often more the fault of a poorly ventilated space more than the gamers (well, at least for the smelly part). And I'm not one to throw stones for being overweight or a bit homely . . .

The real problem is forcing customers to squeeze past crowds of dudes playing RPGs, card games, miniatures, etc just to comfortably browse through the shelves. Not all game stores lay out their floorplans like this, obviously, but more than a few I've visited do. And it causes me to avoid looking through the shops wares and making any purchases, and I'm a part of the hobby! Any "game-curious" average folk walk in and will likely walk right back out.

If to check out the latest 4e books puts me asscheek to chairback with a gamer . . . whether he/she is fat and smelly or not . . . I'm going to take a pass.

Remove ads