My heroes: Ryan Dancey and Peter Adkison

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Tonight, I'm feeling the love for Ryan Dancey and Peter Adkison.

So thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for saving D&D.

I'm a geek, so yeah, the OGL was awesome. Free the information, all the way, whoo hoo, and such. But why is there so much sudden disapproval of the new GSL?

Seems to me that most publishers can still release pretty much the same products they always could. It's just that now WotC has said, "We only want people making things that gamers will use with our core books."

So there won't be a Mutants & Masterminds derived from 4e rules. Is that a big loss? Green Ronin could make their own game, which is pretty much what they did before. Remember, you can't copyright game mechanics, just the specific text of a game mechanic. Nothing's stopping, well, anyone from effectively stealing the whole of 4e, rewriting it, and releasing it under the old OGL?

Okay, actually, I have to admit, the OGL did lead to companies like Green Ronin rising in stature. I'm not sure how many game companies there'd be today if not for the OGL. Will we see more fracturing of player bases again?

Sadly, we don't have an alternate reality machine to see how things would turn out with a different license.

hexgrid

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I'm a geek, so yeah, the OGL was awesome. Free the information, all the way, whoo hoo, and such. But why is there so much sudden disapproval of the new GSL?

Seems to me that most publishers can still release pretty much the same products they always could. It's just that now WotC has said, "We only want people making things that gamers will use with our core books."

Her point is that 4e isn't D&D.

3catcircus

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:

So there won't be a Mutants & Masterminds derived from 4e rules. Is that a big loss? Green Ronin could make their own game, which is pretty much what they did before. Remember, you can't copyright game mechanics, just the specific text of a game mechanic. Nothing's stopping, well, anyone from effectively stealing the whole of 4e, rewriting it, and releasing it under the old OGL?

Okay, actually, I have to admit, the OGL did lead to companies like Green Ronin rising in stature. I'm not sure how many game companies there'd be today if not for the OGL. Will we see more fracturing of player bases again?

Sadly, we don't have an alternate reality machine to see how things would turn out with a different license.

I don't think the issue is third parties making products that require the 4e core books. I think the issue is the onerous clause preventing third parties from making both OGL and 4e versions of a product - including retroactively revoking the OGL if you use the GSL.

AZRogue

First Post
The OGL was one of the most amazing things to come about in gaming that I can think of. Ryan Dancey did a very good thing, there. Unfortunately, I just wish it had been done with a system that I enjoyed playing rather than 3E. I'd rather have my prostate examined with a spatula than play it. 4E I mostly really like, but the license they came out with turns me off in a big way.

I should just go back to Rolemaster and hope DnD dies so that someone who knows what they're doing takes over.

Henry

Autoexreginated
RangerWickett said:

The problem shaping up is that there are a list of things that people can't use, such as the monster stat blocks from the Monster Manual. If you want a goblin, you have to create your own with different stats. How different, is up for grabs so far.

Remove ads