Pathfinder 1E My New Pathfinder Policy

ruemere

Adventurer
I'd like to put it like this:

My time is worth a lot to me. Therefore clean and easy reference (PRD) is of utmost importance, especially since Paizo PDFs tend to be a bit heavy.
Consequently, all materials allowed in my games need to follow this policy.

That's APG elements are allowed on case by case basis, with advanced classes being somewhat discriminated against due to high degree of little subsystems (mutagens and knightly orders being foremost offenders). It's not like I am expected by my players to be an expert on every optional rule, it's just that I like my backyard to be neatly ordered - and every exception adds clutter. [1]
That's I still tend to think fondly of Arcana Evolved.

Regards,
Ruemere

[1] Bad design example: composite mighty longbows (and longbows in general). This particular holdover from old days of 3.x is something I hate:
(an example of exception to Strength damage bonus applicability)
A character gets no Strength bonus on damage rolls with a projectile weapon unless it's a specially built composite shortbow or longbow, or a sling. If the character has a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when he uses a bow or a sling.

and this

(an example of exception to exception to Strength damage bonus applicability)
Longbow, Composite: You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size. You can use a composite longbow while mounted. All composite bows are made with a particular strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency). If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the composite bow, you can't effectively use it, so you take a &#82112 penalty on attacks with it. The default composite longbow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency. A composite longbow can be made with a high strength rating to take advantage of an above-average Strength score; this feature allows you to add your Strength bonus to damage, up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow. Each point of Strength bonus granted by the bow adds 100 gp to its cost. If you have a penalty for low Strength, apply it to damage rolls when you use a composite longbow.

Last edited:

Remove ads