• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My phone call with Creg Leeds

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
As it been stressed by a few posts already, on the marketing aspect, on why the changes to 'D&D' franchise, this latest interview still comes off very 'bland'.

I suspect any true, true answers will come forth, with whatever newer 'gimmick' they put before the masses, (mostly gaining new auidences first hopefully and secondly, recruiting the old back), will dictate on where they will direct their resources.

But at the same time, while there is no PDFs from them, on the market. They are currently 'losing' ground, while that void is being filled fast by others.

What that line from the BSG finale, "All of this has happened before, and all of this may or may not happen again".

Getting tired of the pencil droppings, just getting tired.

And by the way, a very decent try, on the phone interview.

carmachu

Adventurer
This is the problem with D&D being in the hands of those driven primarily by the product/revenue cycle, who need to design in planned obsolecsence to the system in order to maintain that cycle.

Hasbro has a duty to its shareholders to prostitute the D&D IP for as much money as possible or they would be failing as business managers.

This duty is at odds with developing and designing the best game possible which causes the management to fail the gaming fans.

Eventually all the forced change for the sake of change will alienate nearly everyone.

It eventually does, sooner or later. Its the games wrokshop syndrome, and while it can bring in revenue at times, you lose customers at a good clip, and constantly need replacing.

Cadfan

First Post
Of course, you also have to worry about the opposite effect- when games serve their existing fan base more and more with each iteration and release, eventually the game becomes niche and opaque to new players. The demands of the existing fan base tend to be the demands of the hardcore and of those steeped in the traditions of the game, which is a fancy way of saying that they are the demands of those who have already memorized extensive amounts of material and won't find a little more too much, and who have internalized assumptions and oddities that will strike a new player as incomprehensible.

Maybe we could call this the ASL syndrome.

Bumbles

First Post
As it been stressed by a few posts already, on the marketing aspect, on why the changes to 'D&D' franchise, this latest interview still comes off very 'bland'.

You expect otherwise, from a very brief account of a conversation? From someone who is typing from recall?

Remember, we're not getting a journalistic version, it could have felt quite different if you'd been listening, or if Brix had been able to record and transcribe it...heck, he might not have even been able to take notes!

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
[/quote]I really don't understand how so many people in this thread (at least a handful) seem to read so much contempt and hostility into this conversation, when nothing suggests that Greg Leeds was anything but pleasant.[/quote]

I'm certain that he was pleasant; I seriously doubt that the President of a major company wouldn't take the time to speak directly with a fan and be rude of cynical. So, kudos to Greg Leeds for stepping into the line of fire, especially when the orginal Email sent was a bit "heated".

And thanks to Brix, too, for getting the ball rolling. if possible I'd love a bit more details; any chance of a transcript? Or some more detailed thoughts. As the person on the other end of the phone, what was YOUR take on the conversation?

That said, I don't find much new information or anything particularly enightening in what was said. (Of course, I wasn't privy to the call, and am just going by the OP's summary of the call.)

Festivus

First Post
That's what I asked him, too. He said that will not happen (since they seem to be absolutely fine with 4E and leave the rest to other companies without hesitating - so it be)

I'd rather they be focussed on 4E totally than producing stuff for both editions at the same time.

I'd rather they be focussed on 4E totally than producing stuff for both editions at the same time.
Agreed. Dividing the fanbase (and sustaining the division) by publishing multiple competing product lines is what killed TSR, and nearly killed D&D. I know a number of (IMHO, short-sighted) folks will want to crucify me for saying this, but here it is: We're pretty lucky that the D&D license ended up with WotC; things could have been a lot worse, and if WotC ever sells it, we may yet see worse. So far, what's been good for WotC has generally been very good for D&D. The very last thing this hobby needs is for the publisher of its flagship brand to collapse, because it might very well decimate the RPG industry with it.

In short, competing products from the same company: badbadbad.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
One can hope, for a blurb of difference...a snippet that could have given a small bright ray -----

Nah...that's reaching.;)

You expect otherwise, from a very brief account of a conversation? From someone who is typing from recall?

Remember, we're not getting a journalistic version, it could have felt quite different if you'd been listening, or if Brix had been able to record and transcribe it...heck, he might not have even been able to take notes!

Bumbles

First Post
One can hope, for a blurb of difference...a snippet that could have given a small bright ray -----

Nah...that's reaching.;)

Well, I got one. Several maybe. But it may simple come down to interpretation. Points 2, 4 and 5 were all relatively good in my eyes, yet some of them seem to have offended others. Still, I know I wasn't on the line, so I'm not too worried about what I might have missed. And I seriously can't expect the president of the company to call each and every concerned customer to offer his assurances.

Remove ads