• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My players, do not read this question about a monster special ability!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Go 'way now, players!

Okay, here's my question. Kytons have the following special ability:

Dancing Chains (Su): A chain devil’s most awesome attack is its ability to control up to four chains within 20 feet as a standard action, making the chains dance or move as it wishes. In addition, a chain devil can increase these chains’ length by up to 15 feet and cause them to sprout razor-edged barbs. These chains attack as effectively as the devil itself. If a chain is in another creature’s possession, the creature can attempt a DC 15 Will save to break the chain devil’s power over that chain. If the save is successful, the kyton cannot attempt to control that particular chain again for 24 hours or until the chain leaves the creature’s possession. The save DC is Charisma-based.

My questions are these:
1) Do these chains each take up a 5' square when attacking?
2) Does the standard action the kyton takes allow him to make full attacks with all four chains -- i.e, two attacks/chain for a total of 8 attacks?
3) Must the kyton concentrate from round to round to continue the attacks? If not, what's the power's duration?
4) Does increasing the chains' length count as a standard action, or can he do this as a free action and then make the attacks?
5) If you're not clear on how it DOES work, how would YOU handle it in your game?

Thanks!
Daniel

Jhyrryl

First Post
In reverse order:
Pielorinho said:
5) If you're not clear on how it DOES work, how would YOU handle it in your game?
This is how I would handle it in my game.
4) Does increasing the chains' length count as a standard action, or can he do this as a free action and then make the attacks?
Free action. Otherwise the ability would have been given its own name and description, and where it would have been declared what type of action it was.
3) Must the kyton concentrate from round to round to continue the attacks? If not, what's the power's duration?
Standard action each round they are to be contolled, otherwise there would be a duration listed.
2) Does the standard action the kyton takes allow him to make full attacks with all four chains -- i.e, two attacks/chain for a total of 8 attacks?
No, each chain attacks once. The kyton itself does not get iterative attacks, it gets a single attack with each of two held chains. It was designed to be like a claw/claw routine, not a weapon routine.
1) Do these chains each take up a 5' square when attacking?
No.

FrankTrollman

First Post
The Kyton spends a standard action concentrating and up to four chains in the area become animated objects which fight as well as the Kyton does until it stops concentrating.

They appear to have 15 foot reach.

It's a nasty ability.

-Frank

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The board ate my post!

To summarise:

I agree that it is a little hazy. I would run this as follows: Each Kyton can animate (and maintain animation of) up to four chains a round as a standard action.

I would treat these as Medium animated objects except with a reach of 15ft and AC, BAB, damage etc. as their animating Kyton. hp as a Medium animated object (but any which was destroyed by a weapon could be lengthened and animated once more by the Kyton... that'd spook 'em!). chains destroyed by energy would stay destroyed though.

As animated objects, they would each have their own 5ft square (essential for targetting them with attacks by spells or objects).

Cheers

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Thanks, all! Here are the stats I'm going to use for them (I think the animated objects, concentrate to continue using them is the way to go):

Animated Chain
Medium Construct
2d10+20 (31 hp)
+0
30 ft. (6 squares)
14 (+4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Bab/Grapple: as kyton
Single attack: as kyton
Full attack: as kyton's single attack
5 ft./15 ft.
Hardness 10
Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; also see text
Fort +0, Ref +0, Will –5
Str 12, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1

How does this look? Am I right in thinking the kyton can use any feats available through the chains?

Daniel

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Pielorinho said:
Am I right in thinking the kyton can use any feats available through the chains?
Yes, the chains attack as the kyton does. For extra pain, give him a few rogue levels and have him flank with the chains...

Darklone

Never trust a kyton who drops some chains...

I think the will save DC 15 to keep controlling your Spiked Chain is lousy. I loved to play with the players own broken toy.

Remove ads