• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My player's travel

Shadowdancer

First Post
I once ran a campaign in the Forgotten Realms that required the PCs to travel all over. They were on a mission to acquire pieces of a magic weapon that was needed to stop the plans of an evil cult. After assemblying the seven pieces of the weapon, they had to travel to the cult's eight religious sites and destroy the altars at each. The altar sites were laid out in a hexagon with each side 800 miles long. That's a lot of traveling.

At first, the players didn't mind too much, because they were low-level characters and each encounter was a true test. I like to plan all of the combat encounters in advance, so I would break the trips down: how many days travel, how many nights camping out, what cities and town would they pass through where they could sleep in an inn, etc? Then I would pre-roll for encounters for each day, and work up encounters as needed. Then during play, I would roll dice for encounters and ignore the results, giving the players the feeling that I was rolling everything as we went along. This helps to keep them in suspense, as I would roll for each day and for each night.

Sometimes, if a roll during play indicated an encounter should take place, I might make it a non-combat encounter -- a patrol or caravan coming from the opposite direction, an unusual site, etc. This also kept the players interested and on guard, and was a good way to hand out clues ("Yeah, there's reports of bandits about two days away in the direction you're traveling, better be careful").

But after this had happened a few times, and the players got familiar with the Forgotten Realms map and knew how long each trip would take, they began to get restless. They also wanted to complete their mission. So I started speeding things up. Sometimes, I would just say, "28 days on the road pass, nothing eventful happens." This was only on well-traveled roads in mostly civilized areas. And sometimes I would have an NPC hook them up with a magic portal that would transport them to their destination, or at least in the general area.

I think you need to base your overland travels on what your players like. If they're having fun with the long, drawn-out method, then continue with it. If they show signs of becoming bored, find ways to speed things up -- eliminate some details, skip over some days if nothing important is supposed to happen, let them find some magic portals, etc.

But I highly suggest you at least pre-roll all your encounter rolls for the trip so you can plan things out a little bit and not relie so much on randomn encounter tables. That will at least speed things up, and will allow you to scale things back if necessary. If you just had nights in a row in which the party fought, and they had a bad time of it and were hurt very badly, and the roll for the next night indicates another encounter should take place, it would probably be best to skip it, or hold off until the party has had an opportunity to recover some. No need to make the party road kill.

LostSoul

Adventurer
jhanzur said:
The wizard plans on making a wand if possible and the rest of the party will be doing a bit of urban site seeing. The rogue actually wants to do a B&E to supplement his income, and I have a short solo adventure for that (might involve the authorities if things go wrong). After this, the party is headed for Westgate. I have a hook that they will most likely WANT to take before they leave Urmlaspyr (which I won't get into just in case :D ).

A few quick ideas:

-Have somebody ask the mage to make a magic wand or something for them. Who are these people? Why they want magical equipment?
-Have the rogue steal something that ties into future adventures. Maybe he steals papers detailing crooked politicians. Maybe he stumbles on some kind of scheme. Maybe he gets involved in something between two or three different factions and gets pulled in over his head (and pulls the party down with him).

Anyways.

Don't worry about "winging it". That kind of play only gets better with time and confidence (mostly confidence), so go for it. You'll be better than you think. In order to prepare for an adventure like this, jot down ideas that can be dropped in wherever and whenever you need them.

Maldur

First Post
I used to have a Dm who was very good at running travel. Weather was a real challenge sometimes, so in the end we really had a campaigning season, so we could safely travel. Mousons, draughts, snow, rainstorms, mud, more rain. We started to really pay attention to travel gear like tents, rations, cooking utensils, etc. We reduced our armor so we could carry enough water and food. It was very gritty campaigning. ( we would have loved a paladin with treat disease as well)

happy travels, Maldur

jhanzur

First Post
Everyone, I have to say thanks for the great ideas, and more importantly, the player persepectives of past games you have all been in. LostSoul, I had thought about having the rogue find clues to the next, or another, plot hook. I really like the idea of having an NPC commission the PC wizard for a magic item. I never thought of it that way, and always assumed it would go the other way around. Thanks for the good ideas guys/girls?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads