• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Review of eTools

Zot_Wyzo

First Post
I got this today and after attaching a CD-ROM device to my laptop, the following observations were made:

1) Documentation: From reading the boards I was under the impression that documentation was non-existant. Yes, you get no printed manual, but this is the case for nearly all software packages these days. The Help file, however, includes a fairly complete manual for operating the software. My recommendation is for everybody who purchased this package to read that manual from beginning to end. Most reported bugs would not have been reported had the user read the manual. This manual is far more than adequate. It should also be noted that the full text for skills, feats, and spells is located in this help file. On a scale of 1-5, I rate it a 4.

2) Overall functionality: This package advertised support for the Core Rules, and my first perusal of the functionality indicates it meets this requirement. Although there are some gotchas, such as Templates and support for functionality that may have been implied in the DMG (such as class and PrC creation), overall this product delivers as advertised. It should be noted by all users that the same held true for all D&D support applications from the old Dungeon Master's Assistants from SSI in the eighties, to the first Core Rules CD-ROM, and even CR2. This functionality has apparently been too difficult to develop for such a product. On a scale of 1-5, I give it a 3.

3) Backend Database: This is the big winner in my opinion. I have opened up the database in Access 2002 and looked at every table. This is where the key informaiton lies, and it could easily be developed by enterprising young software engineers into the type of product everybody seems to desire. A few alterations to these tables could easily include such functionality as support for psionics, Epic Levels, Oriental Adventures, and those PrC's that are being found to be elusive for those who are trying to include them. Additional functionality would be easy to add by writing a simple front end in Java or VB to accomdate the appropriate queries of the database.

Unfortunately, what could be the most promising aspect of eTools could also be severely limited due to licensing constraints, towhit:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not: ...; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; ...; (4) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or (5) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Utilizing the database with other binaries or scripts perpared by you could be construed as a violation of these terms. Also, altering the tables by adding records could even be construed this way. It would be up to the WotC/Hasbro legal department to determine their take on this section of the license.

The backend database itself gets a 4 out of 5 from me, but since I must give the cloudy legalities of the license with regards to alteration of the databse a 0, this part of the product cannot rate higher than 2 until a legal representative of WotC clarifies their position on altering the database.

4) GUI: This is not the best interface that could have been designed for this product and should have been much better given the time this product spent in development. I give it a 2, but a high 2.

CONCLUSION: Overall, I cannot rate this product any better than a 2 at this time. The Beta for a PDA companion piece is intriguing and the possibilities for the future exist, however, until we have a clear designation on the legal status of altering the database, my rating will remain a 2. If WotC officially states that altering the database and/or using queries of that potentially altered database outside of the binaries included in the package are considered legal and within the terms of the license, I would raise this rating to a high three. If an add-on for additional functionality is put out, my rating would increase another point.

Remove ads