• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Short Rest DM trick...

werecorpse

Adventurer
My issue with rests is that the difference between what you get back for some classes between a long & short rest is so much.
- short rest: spend hit dice to heal some damage
- long rest: recover all spells, damage, hit dice etc etc

This means that if a long rest is relatively easy to take it means it's relatively easy to recover all spells, hp etc. This effects the game as has been suggested above. One solution is to only allow long rests in safe zones, or less frequently etc.

The problem with this can be that it overly benefits classes that recover abilities after short rests like warlocks or fighters.

We parse the benefits of a long rest a bit.
-Spells and character powers are recovered
-Half total hit dice are recovered and may be spent to recover hp
-No hp are healed except as above.

one could make it that you recover only half your spell levels per long rest etc. but I like characters to be able to have most of their tricks up their sleeve.

I find as DM I want to encourage short rests so I tend to make them easy. I do see how this can overly benefit fighters etc - haven't quite worked out what to do. I like the Wizards arcane recovery as an idea to give a partial benefit to those who are basically long rest recovery characters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads