D&D 5E My sister wants to be a Halfling Barbarian (Starter Set)

CapnZapp

Legend
Strength 15 means, according to the rules it means that Halfling can carry more than 10 times his/her own body weight - cartoon physics in other words. If I want to create a sense of verisimilitude in the games I run, I house-rule it.

It’s not a question of ‘badwrongfun’ - the original poster asked people to criticise and discuss the statistics of that particular character, which I did. It’s up to other people whether they want to implement these thoughts or not.
Trippy, you seem caught up on a fact that I and many others feel is insignificant in the general scope of things - and more importantly, a fact I would definitely not bring the attention to in front of a newbie.

There are so very many things that are... well, fantastical, about D&D, that I can't believe that you are still defending the way you chose this particular one.

I'm sure a case can be made for every single class race stats combo that it really shouldn't come into play if you "think about it".

So don't! :) It's a game. ALL possible characters are valid. NONE of the choices deserve to be singled out as unrealistic.

Sure, feel free to house rule away in your personal game, Trippy, but please don't bring your own assumptions into a general D&D decision. And especially not one where a newcomer asks for advice.

I sincerely hope you understand why people have responded, and that you really shouldn't feel a need to defend yourself. I am only writing this because it does not appear to me you have understood why you feel attacked: it really isn't about your opinions, it's about not needlessly complicating the choices of people new to the game.

I see that people challenge your assumptions, telling you "Str 15 Barbarians are realistic, too" but that only misses the point. The point isn't to go into some discussion about how Haflings can or cannot have Str 15 and/or lift 15x their body weight.

The point is:

Bringing up idiosyncrasies about the game is an advanced course - not something you want to do at D&D 101 :)

Once everybody feels comfortable restricting their game, taking Str 15 Halflings, or Paladin Tieflings, or Humans with a bad haircut off the table is perfectly okay, so again: this isn't about the opinion, it's about the place for it.

Very best regards, and hope for your understanding trippy;
CapnZapp :)

Last edited:

Trippy, you seem caught up on a fact that I and many others feel is insignificant in the general scope of things - and more importantly, a fact I would definitely not bring the attention to in front of a newbie.

No - you’re caught up in it. I have long since made this comment. The OP has long since discussed it with me and said he was cool with it. A moderator has long since said people should move on. As have I.

Personally, I actually think the manner of third part individuals berating and pontificating upon one individual’s opinion and trying to ensure that they do not express it, is a frankly disturbing and off-putting aspect of this thread.

Last edited:

Nemio

First Post
I'm always disappointed when I see an update was made in my topic and it's about this subject.
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] [MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION]

Now shake hands and help me with completing the background for Anton :D

Do you guys have any further ideas?

The game is up in 10 days and finishing this PC seems to be one of the many things I still have to complete in time.
I want to create some backup PC's in case any of them die, print out some maps, reread the rules, practice my storytelling, etc.

Ugh, getting nervous :)

Ragmon

Explorer

There are some downsides that I've found (no Heavy weapons) but she's not a (power)gamer so she doesn't mind.

She can use a lance if she needs dmg, it deals d12. Reckless assault will counter the disadvantage from using the lance against adjacent foes. (I just like to point this out every time some one mentions halfling barbarian in 5E).

Remove ads