• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Story Hour is over 663 pages in Word!

(contact)

Explorer
Sagiro said:
You have nothing to fear but fear itself... and Lazybones.

I think this goes without saying.

But what I want to know from you is: If you make three twenty sided rolls, what are the chances that one of those rolls will be a "1"?

-----

My word/session ratio started out in the ballpark of about 1200 per, but has since balooned to probably three to four times that amount. This is for several reasons (IMIBAO):

1. Better notes mean less synopsizing.
2. As campaigns grow older, the roleplay becomes better, leading to more "talking heads."
3. I measure my human worth by word count.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Piratecat said:
Don't feel inadequate - BE inadequate! :p

Astonishing enough, yours is 275,419 words and mine is 278,016 words. REALLY close. Lots of dialogue must add a lot of space. But (contact) beats us both, we suh-huck compared to Lazybones, and I fear Sagiro's word count.

You must be doing that crazy Beantowne math, because in Brooklyn 93,890 + 93,348 + 141,311 = 328,549.

Feh. What do expect in a town that has the Red Sox for a team. :rolleyes:

You couldn't do simple addition if it were a routine ground ball passing first base in the 6th game of the world series. ;)

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
(contact) said:
3. I measure my human worth by word count.

nemmerle said:
Oh and my words / session ratio for those three threads is 8424.3, buck-o!

Aha! Just as I thought!

*Goes off to beat Polonius with a stick*

Brevity is the soul of wit, my sainted ass!

StevenAC

Explorer
Sagiro said:
It will go up some if I ever get around to publishing my more detailed 3-days-to-Abernathy character intros, but not by that much...
:eek:

As for your 1000-page estimate above, I'm afraid you're going to have to write a bit more to achieve that... Currently, the Story Hour covers 414 pages on my site, although I haven't updated it in a while (it stops just before the infamous "throw the bread rolls at the DM" session. :D ). There must be somewhere between 40 and 50 pages of stuff since then, so I'll have to start considering thinking about getting ready to do an update fairly soon... :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hmmm. Apparently Excel has thwarted me. That's what I get for not doing addition in my head.

Well, fine. You're sexier than me, too. Bastard.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
StevenAC said:
:eek:

As for your 1000-page estimate above, I'm afraid you're going to have to write a bit more to achieve that... Currently, the Story Hour covers 414 pages on my site, although I haven't updated it in a while (it stops just before the infamous "throw the bread rolls at the DM" session. :D ). There must be somewhere between 40 and 50 pages of stuff since then, so I'll have to start considering thinking about getting ready to do an update fairly soon... :)

I assume that's because of the difference between Word pages and .PDF pages. I started keeping my story hour content in a single Word doc at my run 100, and that doc (which now chronicles runs 100-154) is itself 420 pages long (Times New Roman 10 point font).

It's definitely true that my posts have grown wordier over time -- thus, I culled back the straight extrapolation from 1200 to an estimated 1000 pages.

-Sagiro

Lazybones

Adventurer
Any way you slice it, clearly there's a lot of great content here. I hope people will continue to post their compilations; I have converted several from .doc to .lit (Microsoft Reader) format for my Pocket PC, which along with the free fantasy titles that Baen Books has been releasing on its Web site, means that I am never without something good to read, wherever I go.

Several of the story hours here have been more entertaining than some of the hardcover fantasy I've bought in the last few years. I think that's great; as a writer who's had virtually no success breaking into the insanely competitive world of fiction publishing, I think that places like ENWorld offer a great opportunity to share your work with a like-minded audience. To me an ENWorld story hour is to a "standard" piece of fiction what live, improv humor is to a scripted sitcom. The latter has more polish, but you're more likely to get great, unexpected moments in the former. Perhaps it's because most story hours are collaborative, with a DM and players who each bring something different to the story. After all, Wulf wouldn't have been Wulf without the halfling and his player, and (contact's) ToEE wouldn't have been such a guilty pleasure if there hadn't been real players behind all those characters that got slaughtered. ;)

/end hijack, continue with your regularly scheduled boasting :D

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My hope is that when the campaign is done - I will be soon after be able to give each of my players an edited and fully annotated hard-copy version of the story hour to keep as a memento or our collaboration.

Though I guess it is going to have to be several binders for each - at the rate this thing is going. . . :cool:

Lela

First Post
Emperor Valerian said:
Mine right now is likely around 150 pages... but then again thats because I'm wordy... :)
And EV, how many sessions have you typed up so far? You can't leave that one out. ;)

This guy, here, is the wordi one. He beats you all, hands down.

Of course, it is worth it. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads