D&D 5E My theory on 5e's core mechanic

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A few thoughts on the subject:

I think you're spot on with the 16 stat-is-lke-passive and checks would be +6 for that stat (and I like it) but:

I expect that in the case of AC it will remain a static number (no AC=d20+5 for chainmail, for example). Ditto for most exploration DC's (like the DC 10 for jumping on the table as described above - far more likely than "DM rolls the d20 to find out the check DC".

The example they gave, which lead you in part to your conclusion, was for spells (the attack roll creating the save DC) and I think that will likely be the extent of the opposed roll.

Though with the system you describe, it's perfectly modular to do more or less opposed rolling as the table prefers.

My other thought is on an interesting result (drawback?) of this system (when it's NOT an opposed roll): If you don't have to roll a check unless you're stat doesn't beat the DC, then when you DO roll, you ALWAYS have to roll greater than 10 when you pick up the d20 to be successful.

Having to roll for it will automatically mean you have less than a 50/50 chance of success. How much less depends on the DC, of course, but having to roll will always mean "good luck with that". Which could be exciting, but should also make you sweat.

I know I can't reliably roll above a 10 on a d20. Especially when it "counts".

Last edited:

Ainamacar

Adventurer
Good stuff, Ainamacar! :)

I'm about 12 years removed from college and all my calc, statistics, and probability classes, so thanks for putting it together better than I could. It was your other post about the probabilities of a d20 opposed roll system that really crystallized a lot of thoughts in my head.

Thank you! My job is fairly mathematical (Mathematica is my daily "scratch paper" and I always have plenty of reference material near at hand) so for me these little analyses of mechanics are a bit of good fun, and help keep me sharp.

I've been reading your posts with a lot of interest, they're generally pretty thoughtful, and I'm glad you found my earlier post helpful. You certainly took things in a direction I had not considered, and we all end up enriched with new ideas. Can't ask for much more than that on an internet forum, can we? :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Must spread XP, yadda, yadda...

I wish all long and rambling posts were this well presented and thought out.

Thanks, Agamon! And as you just made me realize in the other thread, ability damage suddenly becomes a lot more attractive in this sort of system. The numbers are transparent and easy to adjudicate.

The cascading ripple effect across your character sheet from ability damage, buffs, and debuffs ceases to really be the issue it was before. Its much easier to work with.

Remove ads