• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Turn for I. E. 6 Problems

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Before anything else I should mention that Internet Explorer is not my primary browser, I much prefer Firefox, followed by Netscape.

That said, there are some sites that require I. E. 6, and I believe that the update service for Windows is also tied into it.

For some reason after deleting my old ISP program (Earthlink 2003) I ran into problems with an incomplete uninstall. I ran Norton, which seemed to fix the problem (or at least the error messages went away...) but since then Internet Explorer has been unable to open any web pages whatsoever, including Microsoft.com - giving the standard 'The page cannot be displayed' message given for pages not being found.

I tried reinstalling I.E. 6 but was told by the installer that it had found a more recent version and the re-install was aborted.

Obviously the uninstall of Earthlink messed things up, but how can I put them right? Any suggestions by the computer savvy would be appreciated.

The Auld Grump

Madstylz

First Post
Possible Repair...

I have fixed this problem at work several times. I have a long winded Microsoft Solution for you. I'm not sure if it will work for you but you can give it a shot. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll send it to you.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Sadly, things went downhill from there - the next ime I booted up my machine slowed to a crawl, I finally ended up reformatting my drive. (There was a memory leak somewhere, but I couldn't figure out which program.)

My virus checker found no virii, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

The Auld Grump

cybertalus

First Post
If you're using Windows XP, next time you might try making a Restore Point before installing or uninstalling any software or making any changes to system settings or the like. System Restore has saved me a time or two in similar situations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads